Railroad Forums 

• NYC RS3 locos on P&LE

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1113607  by clehman

Bill8106 - That's the one! I have a book with a color photo, but now all I have to do is remember WHICH book!!! Thanks. Carl
 #1113747  by poppyl

Just to throw another wrinkle into the discussion, you could also include some Western Maryland and Reading diesels as run through power on the P&LE. Steam still ruled on the WM east of Connellsville in 1952 but the RS's and Geeps were making in-roads as the advantages of distributed diesel power became more apparent.

Poppyl
 #1113954  by NKP1155

In your planning, don't forget that the P&LE and Erie pooled power between Cleveland and Pittsburgh for their @ 10 passenger trains a day. We often would see P&LE passenger units at the Erie E 55th st roundhouse in Cleveland. Erie had PA's, RS-3's geeps and E units equipped for passenger service, all types would have made it to Pittsburgh at one time. (and don't forget the Detroit to Pittsburgh passenger trains that operated NYC-DTW-CLV via the Erie Station (into CLV from Berea on the LS&MS main, right turn after Bridge 1 onto the original Big 4, stop at Superior St Station under the CUT trestle, onto the Erie and up past Literary St completely bypassing Cleveland Union Terminal); Erie to Youngstown; P&LE to PGH.
 #1118403  by wjstix

FWIW although you want to have an accurate layout based on the P&LE in 1952, I'd leave yourself a little leeway. Very few folks are going to know if a P&LE RS-3 is right for 1952 or not, and it certainly will look right since RS-3 production started in 1950. Similarly, to me at least, seeing a NYC engine on the P&LE isn't going to look out of place. It might be hard for you to prove that a particular NYC locomotive was used on the P&LE at some point...but it would be even harder for someone else questioning it to prove it wasn't used on the P&LE.