Railroad Forums 

• CNE Spring Tour 2005

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #86033  by Bernard Rudberg

Hello All -

This is to advise one and all that the 2005 segment of the annual bus tours along various
portions of the former Central New England Railway is ready to accept reservations. We are
pleased to announce that these tours will now and in the future be co-sponsored by the Maybrook
Railroad Historical Society. This year's tour will be run on Sunday, April 10th (rain or shine).
We will again depart from the Union Station parking lot in Canaan, CT at 9:00am with an
additional pickup of passengers in Millerton, NY at approximately 9:30am from the designated
parking area along Century Boulevard. Century Boulevard was the former CNE yard area for
Millerton and is located one block north of Main St/Route 44 between Dutchess and Maple
Avenues.

Routing for this year's tour will essentially follow the route of the former Rhinebeck and
Connecticut RR which was taken over by the Hartford and Connecticut Western RR in 1882.
This was an important expansion for the H&CW as it brought the line to the banks of the Hudson
River at Rhinecliff, NY. This primarily allowed for much needed coal received from barges off
the Delaware & Hudson Canal to be brought to the various mills of Southern New England. The
line to Rhinecliff remained in high usage until the opening of the Poughkeepsie Bridge and all of
it's western connections some eight years later.

As usual, everybody will get a copy of the 2005 CNE Tour guide book.
Our routing for CNE 2005 will be to State Line, Mt. Riga, Boston Corners, Copake and Ancram.
At Ancram, we will divert to Ancramdale which was on the line of the former Poughkeepsie and
Eastern Railway and follow it down to Pine Plains where we will again have lunch at last year's
spot which was Lia's Mountain View Restaurant. After lunch, we will proceed north to
Silvernails where we will again pick up the route of the former R&C Railroad and continue our
ride west via Mt. Ross, Jackson Corners, Elizaville, Cokertown, Red Hook, Rhinebeck and
Rhinecliff. At this point in time, we expect to be making stops (some short and some fairly long)
at State Line, Boston Corners, Copake, Hallsteads area of Ancramdale, Pine Plains, Silvernails,
Elizaville, Red Hook and Rhinecliff. Due to the narrow roads and lack of suitable parking in
much of the general area of our tour, some locations can only be shown from the bus windows.
At the end of the tour in Rhinecliff, our buses will run express back to Millerton and Canaan.

The cost of this year's tour will again be $45.00 per person and payment should be made out to
"MRHS-CNE 2005" or Maybrook RR Historical Society - CNE 2005
Send it to:
CNE 2005 -JOE MATO
62 WOOD ROAD
REDDING, CT. 06896

As we did last year, we have two buses with 55 seats each. Last year we sold all 110
seats and had a waiting list so don't wait too long to send in your reservation.
Please note that any request for refunds must be received thirty (30) or more days in advance of
the tour date or, if less time is involved, it is up to the cancelling party to find a replacement
party in order to receive a refund.
 #94289  by bwparker1

These trips are outstanding, my father and I went on the CNE 2003 tour in the Hartford/Simsbury/Winstead area.

The best $45.00 you can spend for historical/railroad enthusiasts.

Cheers,
Brooks

#105295  by Bernard Rudberg

As of 3/8/05 we have only 10 seats left. Now is the time to act if you want to get a seat for the April 10th Tour.

Bernie Rudberg
 #115661  by McGinty26

Just got home from today's tour. It was GREAT !! The book we received prior to boarding the bus was worth the price of admission. I cant say enough good things about it. Thanks to all who organized and ran today's festivities.
 #115897  by Bernard Rudberg

We were happy to have you on board. We have already started the planning for next years tour.

If you have any comments or questions about the guide book, my name, address and E-Mail are in the front pages.

Bernie Rudberg

#116132  by bellstbarn

Each of the three CNE tours I have attended was well organized. Applause must go to all who worked on the preparation: Lee Beaujon, Joe Mato, Bernie Rudberg, Woody Cohen, and more. Thanks for all the research that helped: research including the proper parking slots on Century Blvd, Millerton, and a most welcome breakfast. The trip and the guide book answered many questions. A most instructive, worthwhile day. Joe McMahon

#117967  by bwparker1

Just our of curiousity, how many CNE tours have there been and what have they covered? If you could list the year and sections covered, that would be great.

Thanks a bunch.

Brooks
W Simsbury, CT at times
Last edited by bwparker1 on Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #118017  by Bernard Rudberg

I have been involved in 4 CNE spring Tours.

2005 I wrote the guide book and we covered the Rhinebeck & Connecticut from Millerton north to Boston Corners then west through Copake, Ancram, Pine Plains (lunch), Silvernails, Mt Ross, Jackson Corners, Elizaville, Red Hook and Rhinebeck to Rhinecliff on the Hudson River.

2004 I wrote the guide book and we covered the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut ROW and part of the CNE in CT from Canaan west through Salisbury, Lakeville and Ore Hill to State Line near Millerton NY. In NY we covered the ND&C over Winchell Mountain through Bethel and Shekomeko. We had lunch and a tour in Pine Plains then a side trip to Silvernails.

2003 I was on board the tour and we covered the CNE from Winsted east to Hartford.

2002 I was on board and we covered the CNE from Winsted west to Canaan station.

Bernie Rudberg

#118213  by bwparker1

Thanks Bernie!

Brooks

#152362  by bellstbarn

Sorry to report a crash at Avon involving Kelley Transit, a driver, and one of the state-owned buses (same or similar to what we rode). Link:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/29/crash.ap/
Or do a Google News search for "Avon."
A morning Winsted-to-Hartford bus with 8 passengers. Apparently, a westbound truck descending the hill (into Avon?) crashed into the eastbound bus, and a fire engulfed several autos, with deaths and injuries. The bus driver was air-lifted to a hospital.
I recall how competent the drivers have been on our recent trips using Kelley.
Joe McMahon