Railroad Forums 

• 100th Anniversary of the NYWB - 1912-2012

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1016768  by fordhamroad

-A NYW&B CENTENNIAL DAY -

-for discussion and reaction:

PART ONE: AM- Touring the Line. Ideally with a bus, but a couple of vans might do.
1. Start: Meet at 180th st. Station. Tour renovated station. Ride the Dyre Ave. line up to Dyre Ave. and back. Photo stops at Pelham Parkway and then walk to Morris Park on the way back. Return to 180 St.

2. Drive to Kingsbridge Road abandoned station. Contact with local preservation group. Look at remains.

3. Drive to E. Third street, view 3rd St. Station front and rear. photograph the remains from street.

4. Drive to Columbus Avenue. See what you can. Drive to Willson's Woods park, Leave vehicles, walk over to climb and photograph NYW&B abutment west side of parkway.

5. Drive to Pelham, view Highbrook Avenue Bridge. Contact with local preservation group, Highbrook High Line - go for a walk on right of way.

DO WE NEED LUNCH? Rockwell's in Pelham, Wolf's Lane, just south of NH line station (free parking Pelham RR sta if a
Saturday.)
PART II PM:
6. Additional touring --head north toward White Plains. Possible stops to look at:

Wykagyl remains from parking lot
Stroll through Ward Acres Park
Photograph Quaker Ridge Station
Photograph Heathcote (restored) station
Hike the White Plains Greenway
Pit Stop and Coffee while viewing NYW&B display, at The "Westchester" Mall.

(There are also a few spots of interest on the Portchester line, --such as the Portchester terminal or the 1906 New York & Portchester Bridge , assessible from the High School parking lot. -- but not a lot left)

PART III -- IF we could get free or economical use of a venue -- we might manage a meeting, a viewing of the NYW&B film, discussions, displays of models and artifacts etc. (try New Rochelle Public Library?) Perhaps this centennial business would require a two day celebration. Or it could be done that evening. Or we could book a room for a dinner with after dinner activity. If sufficient visitors were staying overnight at a hotel, perhaps we could get the use of a room for meetings and display where visiting participants would be staying?

It is getting very very very late to arrange all this. Parking at 180th is usually tight. Other areas are managable, especially on a weekend. There is no way to walk the whole line, as Roger Arcara once did, and modern suburban trains are not close enough to visit the sites. We would have to organize transportation.

By now, 100 years ago, the tracks are finished from 180th to Larchmont Junction. The Stillwell cars, shiny new and green, have been delivered. They are being tested on newly strung wire in New Rochelle. Workmen are finishing steelwork on the 174th St. viaduct, and laying the foundations for 180th St. Station and Westchester Avenue Station in White Plains. People up and down the line are looking forward to Opening Day. Folks up in White Plains are planning a big parade. (1912)

What are we doing?

Roger Wines
 #1016925  by Noel Weaver

Roger, your suggestion sounds like a wonderful idea and I wish you lots of luck. Maybe you could get the TA to give you a special train with the LO V's. I hope you get to see the inside office spaces at 180th Street. On the extension to Port Chester the old building at Larchmont Gardens might be accessible with a donation to the Girl Scouts, i think they still are in that building, a look at both Mamamroneck and Harrison stations, maybe Otto can come in on this one if it is worth while and finally the station building at Port Chester still exists too. Too bad you can't do the viaduct down to 174th Street, I rode that all the way on the Sperry Car way back when.
If I were still in New York State I would try to go on an event of this nature but alas I am too far away to do that. Again, good luck.
Noel Weaver
 #1017449  by Jeff Smith

Mamaroneck still has the extra bridge abutments at Fenimore, Mamaroneck, and Jefferson. I'd be curious as to what if anything has been discovered in the old pedestrian underpass for the NYW&B from Mamaroneck Station (which should be open as a restaurant by then). Between Fenimore and Mamaroneck Av the extra ROW on the viaduct is still there, but that would be trespassing. The Purchase St. overpass in Rye also has some extra bridgework still.
 #1021472  by Travelsonic

Jeff Smith wrote:Mamaroneck still has the extra bridge abutments at Fenimore, Mamaroneck, and Jefferson. I'd be curious as to what if anything has been discovered in the old pedestrian underpass for the NYW&B from Mamaroneck Station (which should be open as a restaurant by then). Between Fenimore and Mamaroneck Av the extra ROW on the viaduct is still there, but that would be trespassing. The Purchase St. overpass in Rye also has some extra bridgework still.
The extended catenary towers, ROW, bridgework, etc between Port Chester and Larchmont in general is in abundance, having walked along that area in its entirety over the summer [in legal areas / parallel to the ROW, don't worry :)]

Too bad we couldn't get someone from the MTA to work with us in touring Larchmont Gardens, and the area immediately behind the building. Wonder if the tunnel that took people from the station to the platform is still there, looking at the site on historicaerials.com it looked like the exit on the platform side was there for some time [unsealed for some of that time?]
 #1021568  by Noel Weaver

This is going back a very long time but it seems to me that at least a very long time ago there was a stairway of sorts from the tunnel under the tracks to the NYW&B platform at Mamaroneck, it was filled in but plain to see at least in the 50's, I haven't been there in many, many years so today I have no idea whether it is still there or not. At one time in the waiting room at Mamaroneck there was a big bell on the east wall that sounded on approach of a train for Grand Central Terminal, I wonder how long that lasted as well.
Noel Weaver
 #1021999  by Jeff Smith

Noel, I commuted from Mamaroneck in the 80's to GCT (I grew up there). As far as I know, the bell lasted into that period.

There were two tunnels built when the station was moved down the hill to accomodate the Westchester; one to the new railroad, one to the NH. That would make sense since the Westchester had fare control at the station and not on the train. The tunnel in question is still there as far as I know; last I was at the station (2010 or 2011?) it was still there. That's why I was wondering what was in there. The stairs to the platform have obviously been filled in for quite some time.
 #1027224  by Clean Cab

This year (2012) marks both 100 years since the beginning (1912) and 75 years since the ending (1937) of the New York Westchester & Boston Railway.
 #1030408  by Kurt

I have been in the office building at East 180th Street. Not much to see inside. It was being used as a dispatchers office as well as training facility. It is a bit weird in its layout. The second floor looks like was gutted at one point, with another staircase built near one of the arched windows on the south side of the building. The top floor is unfinished, it has a rough concrete finish (very bumpy). Right now it is mostly empty with the renovation/preservation work being done.

Also of interest, there was a fire in the old Wykagyl station last night. New Rochelle Fire Department made an excellent stop. The building is still standing, and looks repairable. The platform areas remaining underneath are untouched by the fire. http://www.lohud.com/article/20120324/N ... rontpage|s
 #1030825  by skippernyc

The Webster Ave Station still exists (I think). I passed by several times in the 1980s, it had become a grocery store among a row of shops, like Wykygyl station. I was identifiable by looking at the curved roof behind the store's sign.
 #1030990  by Otto Vondrak

I am organizing an event for July 2012 to mark the 100th Anniversary of the NYWB... If you want to get involved, or want more information, please join my mailing list:

http://nywbry.com/

-otto-
 #1035147  by Otto Vondrak

fordhamroad wrote:-May 29 1912 - Are We Doing Anything to Actually Celebrate 100th Anniversary?

-Would like to help
-the Highbrook Highline folks in Pelham would like to be involved.
-Updates?

Roger Wines

I've been planning something for months, but so far no support, no money, and no location makes this all very difficult. Even the folks who signed up for the mailing list have shown little interest in actually participating... I was planning an event for July (the date when the whole railroad system was up and running), instead of Memorial Day weekend when everyone already has plans (myself included).

-otto-
 #1038330  by Otto Vondrak

I am planning a 100th Anniversary Celebration to be held at the New Rochelle Public Library on July 14. More details to follow!

Check http://www.nywbry.com and our facebook page for more details.

https://www.facebook.com/nywbry

-otto-