Railroad Forums 

• New Haven Equipment

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #898271  by daylight4449

i've heard from my cousin that there are some trains (he wasn't very specific, said it was near his friend's house) abandon in the woods. unless it's abandon equipment from one of my great grandfather's lumber operations (i dont think any were near the new haven line) then i guess it's some stuff abandon by the new haven years ago. i'm planning to go all "indiana jones" and go to take a look at this stuff. figured our naugatuck guy otto would like to at least be in the loop ;)

either way, i might go hiking through the snow to see what it could be. my guess is just some freight cars, seeing there's virtually no chance that it could be somthing like an I-5 shoreliner, C-liner, PA-1, or a DL109 (although that would be nice) . so, i'll let you all know when i go to the site, and post some pics on my photo bucket page.
 #924029  by daylight4449

Was talking to my cousin yesterday. This has to be a steam locomotive. He said there is two holes in the top of "the train" that a person could fit through. Sounds like a removed steam dome and smokestack. He also said there are two compartments (smoke box and boiler from the sounds of it), both are separated. It is definitely sounding like a steam locomotive. I've also found info on a quarry that was near the area. I can only guess this was a engine that worked this line. the outline of the old roadbed is somewhat visible on google maps. The engine is located in a large clearing near Quarry Hill in Uxbridge. I'm hoping I can get out there soon. Wouldn't it be nice if it was a rare steamer?