Railroad Forums 

• SS60

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #51750  by Howiew

When the drawbridge was replaced by Metro-North years ago, does anyone know what happened to the model board and levers from the former SS60?
 #51783  by Noel Weaver

Don't know about the machine nor the model board. The model board at
SS-60 was one of the few that had the locations pin-pointed by a blue-
print on paper rather than painted right on the model board.
I wonder what happened to the controller handles on the bridge locks?
They would most likely fit a K-6 type streetcar controller.
Noel Weaver
 #51789  by Howiew

The times that I was up there, only saw the bridge opened once. You were correct about the handle. If I remember, to open the bridge, didn't the operator have to push a button to turn on a generator located in the station? If so, what happened to that when the station was closed and eventually burnt.
Wish I could get my hands on one of the levers from the tower.
 #51832  by Noel Weaver

If I recall correctly, the generator for the drawbridge was in a maintainer's
room in the basement of the station and not accessible to station personnel anyway.
The generator was operated by a push button in the tower and that was
the first thing the operator did when it was necessary to open the bridge.
I believe there was a pilot light to indicate that the generator was
actually running and without that, the bridge could not be operated.
After the opening and closing was completed, another button was operated
to shut down the generator.
I believe the bridge had DC motors and the generator was likely operated
by 25 cycle power from Cos Cob.
Noel Weaver
 #52308  by Howiew

I remember after the bridge was closed and locked, if that is the right term. My Uncle then had to walk onto the tracks to check that the locks were set before he reset the signals and derail. Wasn't the bridge even troublesome in the 60's.
 #52366  by Noel Weaver

When I worked there in 1964, it was not required. The indications worked
in the tower to indicate that the bridge was properly seated and locked
down.
In later days, I do not know if under Conrail or Metro-North, the railroad
required advance notice before the bridge would be opened for any reason and they made sure to have maintainers, bridge mechanics and
other necessary people to insure that the bridge would properly open and
most important to properly close and lock.
It was a most interesting place to work and be in the 1960's.
Noel Weaver
 #52587  by Howiew

It may be a possibility that my uncle did it as a precaution or just as a double check.
I enjoyed the times that I spent with him there when he worked 3rd trick. It was fascinating place. Last tower that he worked at before he retired in the early to mid -80's was SS75. I know that he worked at numerous towers in the New Haven area. He started with the railroad in 1947. Worked thru the Penn Central era. His position at SS75 was on the Amtrak side. He was with Conrail for one day and the rest of his time as an Amtrak employee to his retirement. He did enjoy working for the New Haven. He felt everything went downhill starting with the Penn Central.