Railroad Forums 

• Hell Gate Bridge speed limit in New Haven days

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #15468  by JoeG

I'd like to know what the speed limit on Hell Gate Bridge, and on the NY Connecting RR between Harold and Shell was, in New Haven days. Now it's apparently 60. I'm hoping it was higher then.
 #15507  by eddiebear

I think it was more like 40 in New Haven days. However, I can remember a trip in the Summer of 1966 on the SENATOR, the mid-morning run out of Boston. 20 minutes late out of NHV, poked along with stops at Bridgeport and Stamford. Then then engineer let the EP-5 loose. You could not stand in the aisles on the approach to the bridge. And it was an on-time arrival in Pennsylvania Sation.

#15535  by JoeG

By 1966 the New Haven was on its last legs. I wonder how fast they ran on Hell Gate Bridge in the thirties and forties.

#15587  by timz

As I recall NH timetable limit circa 1936 nowhere exceeded 70 mph.

#16304  by Leo Sullivan

In 1935, the Emp. TT shows only track 3 and 4 at 30 mph. 'H' interlocking to S.S. 3 for track 4 and to Bronx Kills Bridge for track 3
For 1952 and 1962, the speed on the bridge was 40 mph. (Harold to S.S. 3). East of S.S. 3 the best track pair was 60 in 1935 and 70 in '52 and '62. The Bronx River Draw was 40 in '35 and the restriction shifted to the curve .15 mi. east, thereafter and was 45.

#16522  by TomNelligan

Historically, Hell Gate Bridge was not high speed trackage. As Mr. Sullivan has noted, the speed limit over the bridge in the 1960s was just 40 mph.

#28873  by Statkowski

From Time Table No. 7, effective Sunday, April 26, 1959, the following speed limits and restrictions applied to the New York Connecting Railroad, including Hell Gate Bridge, and the Harlem River Branch:

HAROLD, FREMONT, HARLEM RIVER -- NEW ROCHELLE JCT.

Harold and Fremont to S.S. 3: 40 m.p.h. Passenger and Freight
Harlem River to S.S. 3: 10 m.p.h. Passenger and Freight
S.S. 3 to S.S. 22 (No. 3 and No. 4 tracks): 70 m.p.h. Passenger, 45 m.p.h. Freight
S.S. 3 to S.S. 14 (No. 5 and No. 6 tracks): 45 m.p.h. Passenger and Freight
S.S. 14 to S.S. 22 (No. 1 and No. 2 tracks): 70 m.p.h. Passenger, 45 m.p.h. Freight

ADDITIONAL SPEED RESTRICTIONS

FREMONT - Fremont to a point 0.50 mile east, No. 5 and No. 6 tracks: 30 m.p.h.
S.S. 3 - Curve 0.71 mile west to 0.68 mile west, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 tracks: 30 m.p.h.
BRONX RIVER - Curve 0.15 mile west: 45 m.p.h.
- Curve 0.60 mile west: 60 m.p.h.
- Curve 0.50 mile east: 60 m.p.h.
S.S. 14 - Curves 2 miles and 1.25 miles west of drawbridge: 60 m.p.h.
- Curves just west and east of drawbridge: 45 m.p.h.
NEW ROCHELLE JCT. - To or from the Harlem River Branch, S.S. 22 to 0.13 mile west: 25 m.p.h.