Railroad Forums 

• New Haven Armory Branch

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1495986  by FLRailFan1

I was viewing a You Tube video of someone walking the Armory Branch from Shaker to Moody Road, and I saw three switches (one went to a building on Shaker, two others went into the woods, does anyone know what industries it was. I'm not sure when the person walked it but it looks bad...
 #1498808  by Jedijk88

I walked this part of the Armory branch back around 2001. Between Shaker Road and Moody Road I believe there are 4 turnouts. The first was a siding that went into a company called Anocoil, and at the time this siding was in good condition. The next siding seems to go into a concrete ready-mix company that may or may not had been operating. Then there was the old turnout for Lego, and the track ended in the woods. Lego's manufacturing operation ended there around 1999 / 2000. The next switch was for Martin-Brower, who received reefers of French fries until the early 1980's. The track was pulled up several feet after the turnout, but the unloading doors on the building remained in place. The last industry with a siding was just south of Moody Road, and that was for Westvaco Co.
 #1512662  by FLRailFan1

What did Anocoil make and what kind of cars did the receive? I guess Lego received hopper cars of plastic pallets, I guess Westvaco received boxcars of paper. Concrete was I guess had hoppers and M-B refrigerator cars... I guess East Hartford yard was a busy place in the 1970s and early 80s...