Railroad Forums 

• New Haven-area Junction Names

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1475715  by JohnJ

Hi, all - I'm putting together a Cedar Hill Yard video, and would like to annotate it with the important junctions for this yard. Specifically, I'm looking for these junction names - I'm more interested in what the names would have been in the New Haven era vs. today, but if you have both and there's a difference, that would be great:

- Location where the Springfield Line joins the Shore Line in New Haven (Mill River Junction?)
- Location where the lead into Cedar Hill splits off from the Springfield Line by the still-existing coal tower on the south end of the yard.
- Location where the Belle Dock branch joins the Shore Line in New Haven.
- Location where the wye track coming out of Cedar Hill joins the Shore Line (Shore Line Junction?) - this is the junction right by the current Lowe's and Wal-Mart on Route 80.
- Location on the Springfield Line along Route 5 in North Haven where the lead from Cedar Hill joins the Springfield Line.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me here.

John
 #1475748  by Backshophoss

Starting with New Haven as the base point,Mill River was where the mainline to Springfield started(MP 73.6),next was Shore line Jct (MP 75.2)
yard lead to Cedar Hill.
New Haven station was used as MP 0.00 when heading to Springfield,Mill River was at MP 1.3,next was Air line Jct at MP 2.2,the yard lead to
Cedar Hill.
 #1475751  by Noel Weaver

SS-78, Fair Street was where the Canal Line branched off from the main line.
SS-79, Mill River was where the Springfield Line branched off from the Shore Liee and the Subway Connection to Cedar Hill branched off as well. In addition the branch to
Belle Dock also branched off at Mill River.
SS-80, Air Line Junction was where the Air Line plus most of the leads to Cedar Hill Yard branched off from the Springfield Line.
SS-81, Shore Line Junction was where you branched off to reach the Shore Line Departure Yard at Cedar Hill.
This should answer the questions.
Noel Weaver
 #1475810  by radio

I believe this one is called Cedar by the dispatchers. I can look up the MP when I get a chance.
- Location on the Springfield Line along Route 5 in North Haven where the lead from Cedar Hill joins the Springfield Line.
 #1475832  by Noel Weaver

radio wrote:I believe this one is called Cedar by the dispatchers. I can look up the MP when I get a chance.
In the New Haven days this was always North Haven. It was known as North Haven Cabin before the new SS-75 was opened in New Haven in the mid 1950's. Cedar was coined by Amtrak when the unfortunate decision to single track the line was made much later on.
Noel Weaver