Railroad Forums 

• Lakeville, CT Freight

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1409088  by NaugyRR

Hey all,

I was curious if any insiders could share what industries were served in and on the way to Lakeville, CT before the New Haven abandoned the old CNE. At the end, how far did the tracks extend past the old station (now the radio station across from Mizza's)? Was Route 41 rerouted slightly to accommodate the bridge from the station to the embanked right of way bordering Herrington's? Somewhere I've got a book published by the Salisbury Association written about the CNE, and among the photos in the back is one showing the bridge; the clearance sure looks low!

Thanks everyone! :-D
 #1409196  by TomNelligan

My memory matches that of Mr. Fender above. I only got to Lakeville once when the line was still active, right near the end (circa 1963-64). There were a couple tank cars spotted for unloading just east of the former Route 41 bridge, which was gone by then.
 #1410008  by Greg Moore

Those correspond with my memory and a presentation I saw in Falls Village last summer.
 #1439762  by FLRailFan1

fender52 wrote:The last I remember was Community Service in Lakeville. It didn't cross 41 then.
What was Community Service...what did they get?
 #1439802  by fender52

I guess the easiest way to describe Community Service was that they were the Lowe's or Home Depot for the time. They sold lumber, hardware etc. There weren't too many places to go then for that type of supplies. They had a small store in Falls Village too that was run by an older woman if I remember right.

Canaan had Lindell's, but I don't know if they received anything by rail. I think the branch to Lakeville ran right past the store.
 #1441125  by TCurtin

The ex CNE overpass that carried the branch to the Lakeville station was removed --- I THINK --- soon after WW II. Like some other ex-CNE underpasses it had rather shockingly low clearance!
 #1441654  by Greg Moore

fender52 wrote:I guess the easiest way to describe Community Service was that they were the Lowe's or Home Depot for the time. They sold lumber, hardware etc. There weren't too many places to go then for that type of supplies. They had a small store in Falls Village too that was run by an older woman if I remember right.

Canaan had Lindell's, but I don't know if they received anything by rail. I think the branch to Lakeville ran right past the store.
The small store in Falls Village was still there when I was a young kid, but soon closed. (It's now a cafe).

And yes, the branch to Lakeville ran past Lindells (which has replaced their old, interesting brick building with a big-box shell of a building. So boring.)