Railroad Forums 

• Story of Famous New Haven Bay Ridge Derailment

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #154314  by BMT

I was dining at a pub in Rockville Centre last week with a railfan buddy who posts here. We were having drinks shooting the shit, etc. The manager/Bartender overheard use talking about trains and trolley cars. He joined us and told us of his youth in Brooklyn and how he and his buddies used to hang out on the Bay Ridge branch dodging trains, etc.

Well, he amazed us when he mentioned that a high school chum of his had caused an horrible derailment on the Bay Ridge branch. He wasn't sure of the years, but figured it was sometime in the mid-1960's. We asked him if it was 1967 or thereabouts involving the large orange NH engines. He seemed to think it did. According to this gent, his pal was arrested by police when they came down to the school.

We told him that his buddy was responible for one of the worse accidents on the line and that the images of the wreck were available online via the New Haven site. I told him I'd drop off some printouts next time we come by if he's not able to find the site.

Well, that only proves that incredible stories can be had from just sitting around nursing a couple of brewskies! :wink: