Railroad Forums 

• Bronxville: NYW&B?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1377553  by Ridgefielder

Now before everybody shoots me down-- yes, I know very well that the neither the NYNH&H nor the NYW&B served Bronxville village. However... has anyone ever noticed how much the Harlem Division station in Bronxville resembles a NYW&B design? The concrete walls, arched steel canopy supports, huge arched window facing the track, red tile roof-- the whole package bears a strong family resemblance to Wykagl, Quaker Ridge, Morris Park, etc. There's even a caduceus (the rod with two snakes twisted around it) design element worked into the driveway side of the building-- and that was of course the logo of the NYW&B. Furthermore the station doesn't resemble any other remaining stations of similar vintage on the line, which tend to be Tudor-revival and built of either stone or brick.

Anyone know anything about this?
 #1378656  by MP85 803

Although the style and architecture for this station is not as common as others on the NYC, this is pretty common architecture for the Village of Bronxville. The old Hotel Gramatan was very similar in style as are several other structures in the area. The lower buildings are still standing but the upper buildings were demolished in the early 1970's to make room for condominiums. I don’t believe the NYW&B really had any influence at all to the style of the station.