Railroad Forums 

• Hancock Air Whistles

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1366598  by livesteamer

Did all the EP-5s use the air whistle. I am aware that all RDC uses the Hancock air whistle. Also, looking of HO and S scale Hancock air whistles to detail out a pair of HO RDCs and an s scale (American Flyer) EP-5.
 #1366610  by DutchRailnut

yes , so did all FL-9's , RDC's and lots of switchers , the Hancock airchime was real distinctive New Haven sound.
only RDC's not with Hancock was Roger williams cab units.
 #1366842  by livesteamer

Thanks, got any ideas where I can find some HO and S scale Hancock Air Whistles. I have a pair of RDCs in HO and an old American Flyer EP-5 that I got as a kid back in the 60's that are in need of a tad bit of detailing.
 #1373598  by Noel Weaver

In addition to the New Haven Railroad Hancock Whistles were also quite common on the Seaboard and also the Florida East Coast and a few on the New York Central in by-gone years, there were probably some more as well but these are what I remember from the past.
Noel Weaver
 #1375902  by Ridgefielder

They lasted on the FL9's well into the '80s, if not the '90s. The sound was quite haunting when you heard them in the distance at night.
 #1376143  by CannaScrews

Unfortunately they don't meet the decibel standards set by the FRA nowdays.

But on occasion, such as in Spencer NC 2 years ago, you can hear them.
 #1382136  by Noel Weaver

I question whether this photo is legitimate or not. When I get a chance I will check my records, I have had most of these units at one time or another. Stay tuned for now.
Noel Weaver
 #1382153  by trainspot

Noel Weaver wrote:I question whether this photo is legitimate or not. When I get a chance I will check my records, I have had most of these units at one time or another. Stay tuned for now.
Noel Weaver
I can assure you Noel, I took it myself and its legit. Maybe Penn Central did it?
 #1382314  by Noel Weaver

trainspot wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:I question whether this photo is legitimate or not. When I get a chance I will check my records, I have had most of these units at one time or another. Stay tuned for now.
Noel Weaver
I can assure you Noel, I took it myself and its legit. Maybe Penn Central did it?
If you actually took these photos maybe you can tell all of us when and where. I am doing some research on this.
Noel Weaver
 #1382336  by DutchRailnut

the pictures show: location date and photographer.