Railroad Forums 

• New Haven Service to the South

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1362868  by chnhrr

What were the named New Haven trains that went to Florida and the South? Which car types would venture into the southern states? I’m assuming the New Haven cars would connect with either the RF&P or Southern at Washington’s Union Station.
 #1362883  by Ocala Mike

From a 1956 Official Guide, Florida service was via the PRR, RF&P, ACL & FEC for the East and West Coast Champions. and via the Seaboard for the Silver Meteor.

Other service to the south included a connection to Nashville and Memphis off The Cincinnati Limited via the L&N.
 #1362947  by Noel Weaver

I don't think any through trains operated in 1956 or later years. When there was a through train between Boston and Florida it was known as the Vacationer and I think these trains carried numbers 117 and 116. As for equipment most LW cars from railroads other than the ones that regularly operation through cars on the NHRR had soft springs and were restricted on the NHRR unless the springs were blocked. My understanding is that this restriction applied between New Haven and New York and maybe at some points east or north as well. Cars that has the soft springs blocked were restricted to 30 MPH so this was only done in rare cases for some sort of special move. New Haven sleepers were regular visitors to Florida and in earlier years coaches likely were too. HW cars were not restricted so during this time they were likely used in this service.
Noel Weaver
 #1440444  by jackie

Amtrak operated through sleeping car service to the south in their second timetable-fall/winter 1971/2 if my memory is correct. The Southern Crescent and the James Whitcomb Riley (more or less today's Cardinal) originated in Boston) with their diners, sleepers, etc.--the Southern Crescent van carried a Boston-Los Angeles sleeper. There was also through sleeper service from Boston to both coasts of Florida and Montreal-Miami sleeper on the newly-restored Montrealer/Washingtonian. The sleepers were put onto the Florida trains in Washington.
Alas, if my memory is correct, this all disappeared in the next (spring/summer 1972) timetable.