Railroad Forums 

• Late 19th century Berlin, CT NHRR station...

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1350530  by Carex

Searching for photos or drawings regarding topic location. Found a few on line, but nothing with any great detail.
Planning to 3D model this structure for a simulation program. Any input would be helpful.

Info regarding the project can be viewed here...
http://vnhrr.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanx in advance.
Bob
Berlin.jpg
 #1351950  by Ridgefielder

Engineer Spike wrote:Was there ever a diamond at Berlin? A New Britain-Middletown route seems plausible.
I don't think there was ever a diamond-- the 1893 topo map at Historical.mytopo doesn't show one. I'm hazier on the history of the lines here than I should be, but I'm pretty sure that both Berlin-New Britain and Berlin-Middletown were built as separate branches by the NYNH&H-- or indeed, the NH&H-- to reach cities it did not then serve, since New Britain-Hartford was the NY&NE main line, Hartford-Middletown was the Hartford & Connecticut Valley, and New Haven-Middletown was the New Haven, Middletown & Willimantic.
 #1374353  by CVRA7

Based on what I saw in an old newspaper article, there was a double diamond at Berlin. There was a New Britain-Middletown through service schedule in the later 1800s, but the coming of the 3rd rail on the Berlin-New Britain part of the line probably reduced or eliminated the service. In any event, the "crossing" was removed c. 1900. I have never seen a photo of the diamonds but I have seen photos showing where they likely were - gap in the canopy where the tracks had been and bumper posts where the tracks ended after "crossing" was removed. The tracks on the west side didn't seem to last too long - probably realigned to be parallel with the southbound Hartford main line track where the New Britain "Dinky" (a gasoline railcar) would serve passengers. The tracks on the east side lasted far longer, maybe into the 40's as overhead-powered electric cars used those tracks for their runs to and from Middletown into the 1930s.