Railroad Forums 

• HELP: Identify this NH Lightweight Passenger Car?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #137270  by jhdeasy

Please help me to identify the car in this photo. Number 901 and name SUTHERLAND FALLS CLUB are visible.

The owner of the web site has it classified as a LIRR car, but I don't think it ever operated on LIRR or was owned by LIRR.

I believe it is a lightweight car built by Pullman Standard for NH in the late 1940s.

Is it a NH 48 seat diner? NH had a diner numbered 901. However, diners usually don't have vestibules, and have smaller service doors for the kitchen.

Is it one of the NH baggage-lounge-parlor cars?

#137328  by jhdeasy

David,

Thank you for the info ... now if we could only determine this specific car's original name/number and current owner/status.

On a related topic, if you have the time and interest, please look at my roster of LIRR lightweight parlor cars at

http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/lirr/page1.html

Maybe you could validate/update my status for the former New Haven lightweight 14-4 "POINT" sleepers and 6-4-6 "BEACH" sleepers that became LIRR parlor cars in 1969. There are some photos of the cars in parlor car service on the LIRR.
 #141413  by B&M E7

The above answer is correct, it is a "COUNTY" series baggage Parlor car
(possibly with COACH seating installed at one point) from the New Haven
210-219 numbering series.
NOW: to narrow it down:
It's one of the following:
210 KENT COUNTY
211 WASHINGTON COUNTY
214 FAIRFIELD COUNTY or
217 WINDHAM COUNTY.
These four cars went to Amtrak in 1971 or 1972. I believe at least one of the above four has been scrapped, at least THREE recieved coach seating in the L/1970s or E/1980s.
From there, they were scattered to various owners. One wound up on the OTTER VALLEY RR for awhile , one or some may have gone to scrap.
It's tough to keep up with the whereabouts of the classmates!
 #141989  by B&M E7

217 WINDHAM COUNTY was the one going to Otter Valley, and was apparantly scrapped by NAPARANO by 1995.
This leaves
210 KENT, 211 WASHINGTON and 214 FAIRFIELD (COUNTIES),
which are: "Wherabouts unknown".
So at least we have it down to three possible identities
 #142607  by B&M E7

I found a piece of scrap paper donating:
"210 KENT COUNTY - to Pittsford NY, 1983, for shopping center / SCRAPPED by 1985"
I guess that effectively narrows the mystery down to two (2) cars:
WASHINGTON COUNTY and
FAIRFIELD COUNTY