Railroad Forums 

• MIF curve in Branford

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #9155  by fleet621

I dont remember the mile post of that curve but a freind that used to be an engineer on one of New Havens FL-9's once told me that curve was the worst curve in the notheast corridor.We used to play in the old industrial dump next to the tracks west of the Harbor st bridge. And I can remember the New Haven and Amtrak trains always slowing down before that curve going south and not accelerating hard until after they cleared the curve going north after they departed New Haven heading towards saybrooke.Somewhere I've got pictures of a massive freight derailment in that curve in the late 50's or early 60's.and I remember to the north of harbor st there was a siding that feed the Atlantic wire complex.The next time I go out there I'll get sme pic's and post them. :wink:
 #106675  by The Old Man

Good greif no one sent this and answer since last year. Yes there was a delrailment there. It was in either '63 or possible '65. The reason for slowing down was the cruve was blind you were coming down hil and into the curve to the left no sooner did you clear that cruve you curved to the right only a very short distance cruve back to the left before heading out and up a garde towards Pine Orchard.