Railroad Forums 

• Idea: Electromagnetic train wheels

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#890530  by type 7 3704

I just thought of this, but if you mount electromagnets on the inside of a locomotive's wheels so that they magnetize the wheels, you could potentially increase the attraction between the wheel and the rail, and thus increase traction. You could also potentially control that by controlling the electrical current that's being sent to the electromagnets. For example. if additional traction is not needed, then current to the electromagnets is reduced, which would lower the magnetic attraction.

Issues so far would be complexity and issues with magnetic junk (loose spikes, etc.) being attracted and stuck to the wheels, which may result in derailments.

Thoughts?
 #890615  by DutchRailnut

The Electro magnet would attract plenty of steel dust on railroad and screw up enough to be ineffective.
The Magnetism will inclease the adheasion but will also hinder the rolling resistance since wheel will be attracted to rail wheel bearings to raceways etc etc
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #890744  by RickRackstop

Part of what made Lionel's Magnetraction work was that it required a magnetic circuit through the steel ties to work properly. They don't work very well on Gargraves track with wood ties. You would have all the problems and none of the benefits. Think of picking up paper clips and steel fibers after cleaning the rust off with steel wool. The answer is in both cases to add ballast to increase traction.
 #890867  by Allen Hazen

A related idea has been used on railroads at a larger than those Lionel built equipment for: many trolley cars (trams, if you speak a non-North American dialect of English) have had magnetic braking.
--
I don't know if an idea like this offers any usable benefit for full-size locomotives. Russ Nelson isn't quite right: traction depends on the force with which the wheels are pressed to the rails: usually the force of gravity acting on the locomotive is the only relevant force, so in practice he's right about the weight of the locomotive being what does it, but in principle...
Wheel-rail adhesion tends not to be an issue, I think, at high speeds, but in high speed passsenger trains, aerodynamic forces may contribute an appreciable fragment of the downward force on the driving wheels. (Anybody have numbers on that?)
Even if you limit yourself to gravity, there are tricks you can play: General Electric's new ES44C4 locomotives have a mechanical arrangement that, at low speeds, can transfer onto the driving wheels some of the weight normally carried by non-motored axles: the effect is similar to what Type 7 3704's idea would give: temporarily, to improve traction, the force with which the driving wheels are pressed against the rails is greater than it is when the locomotive is turned off (and greater than one would want it it to be at other times: I think the weight carried on an AC44C4's drivers for short periods of time exceeds what the operating railroad (BNSF)'s civil engineers would permit on a regular basis).
--
If you DID try to use electromagnets to increase traction, they wouldn't have to be mounted in the wheels themselves. Electromagnets mounted on the locomotive frame could pull the whole carbody down toward the rails, and so increase the pressure on the wheels.

I don't know, and am not enough of an engineer to know what back-of-the-envelope calculations to try for an initial judgment as to whether the idea is worth pursuing! For all I know, it might have applications: perhaps as an alternative to the use of rack sections on a mountain railway with very steep gradients. Hey: SOME people think MagLev is the way of the future for high-speed railways, WHY NOT "MagDepress" for others?
 #891066  by ex Budd man

Magnetic brakes are already being used on Bullet Trains. They don't touch the rails like track brakes, they slow by induction.
 #891196  by DutchRailnut

Subject is traction, not braking. Eddy current brakes are great in emergencies but cause Havoc to rail.
Great for Trolleys but not for heavy rail.