Railroad Forums 

• GENERAL ELECTRIC PASSENGER DIESELS

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#879231  by Jtgshu

D.Carleton wrote:
I can't wait to GE powered locomotives running on recycled Blomberg trucks...
Heretofore there have been two attempts to mate three-phase traction motors to Blomberg trucks: ABB’s rebuilding of Amtrak F40 202 and EMD’s F69AC. Neither were exactly rip-roaring successes. Besides, early concept drawings of the HSP-46 depict the use of fabricated trucks similar to those on the Genesis Series. The Blomberg era will draw to a close someday, but it’s been an incredible run.
The Genesis/P40/P42 trucks ride awesome, even smoother than a Blomburg truck, however, the Blomburg isn't far behind.

However, the "newer" trucks especially the European style trucks doesn't seem to ride very well. Seems like the "americanized" versions of the locos are heavier and the trucks can't compensate. The ALP46 trucks give a pretty good ride, but can get some pretty good truck hunting at times. the PL42 Alstom trucks are absolutely horrid. Even at slow speeds, they ride like crap, and at speeds up to 100mph its hard to keep your lunch down and your butt in the seat. A few guys who have ran the E60s said the PL42 is as close to an E60 ride as they never want to get again.......
The AEM7/ALP44 trucks are okay, they ride great if they are freshly rebuilt and have some maintence, but when they are worn out, man, they are bad, and really really noisy.....

I haven't had the "pleasure" to be in a 6 axle loco above 70mph - however, some of the 4 axle locos out there are nothing to write home about, so why not give a modern 6 axle pax loco a try? :)
 #879316  by John_Perkowski

Jtgshu wrote:I haven't had the "pleasure" to be in a 6 axle loco above 70mph - however, some of the 4 axle locos out there are nothing to write home about, so why not give a modern 6 axle pax loco a try? :)
I wonder if the issue is still paranoia over the SDP40Fs and their trucks.

OTOH, SP had SDP-45s, and I don't remember hearing about a locomotive derailment in passenger service...
 #879327  by D.Carleton

however, some of the 4 axle locos out there are nothing to write home about, so why not give a modern 6 axle pax loco a try?
For a certainty it could be done. But why? Current technology allows for mating a 4k HP diesel locomotive to four AC traction motors and this is adequate. Perhaps six-axle trucks on an electric is a worthy goal. Personally, I do not understand why this concept was never persued for passenger but, what do I know? This flange-head leaves the juice-jacks to those so inclined.
 #879424  by goodnightjohnwayne

D.Carleton wrote:
however, some of the 4 axle locos out there are nothing to write home about, so why not give a modern 6 axle pax loco a try?
For a certainty it could be done. But why? Current technology allows for mating a 4k HP diesel locomotive to four AC traction motors and this is adequate. Perhaps six-axle trucks on an electric is a worthy goal. Personally, I do not understand why this concept was never persued for passenger but, what do I know? This flange-head leaves the juice-jacks to those so inclined.
The concept in question was a 10,000hp Bo-Bo-Bo design that died when Conrail, very correctly, decided to abandon electric traction. Nothing high speed about that locomotive.

Even with self-steering radial trucks, I don't think that Co-Co or even A1A-A1A passenger locomotive will make a comeback. Truth be know, Amtrak would have been better off buying larger numbers of small, lighter, less complex and less powerful locomotives and using them in MU. As a passenger, I always prefer to ride behind two locomotives, since sooner or later, a single locomotive will always leave you stranded.
 #879426  by goodnightjohnwayne

John_Perkowski wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:I haven't had the "pleasure" to be in a 6 axle loco above 70mph - however, some of the 4 axle locos out there are nothing to write home about, so why not give a modern 6 axle pax loco a try? :)
I wonder if the issue is still paranoia over the SDP40Fs and their trucks.

OTOH, SP had SDP-45s, and I don't remember hearing about a locomotive derailment in passenger service...
Well, Sante Fe had derailment issues with 6-axle locomotives, and though not the EMDs, and I suspect the other private railroads would have had more issues as well if they'd stayed in the passenger rail business. The great irony is that all of the fairly new 6-axle hood units procured by the private railroads just before the Amtrak takeover were all retained for freight service, while Amtrak typically ended up with classic passenger units.
 #879429  by John_Perkowski

OK. Would that have been the U-25CG fleet? Other than their FP-45s/F-45s, those are the 6 axle passenger locomotives I know of from the 60s Santa Fe. The E units were long in the La Grange and Erie back lots by A-Day.
 #879488  by mp15ac

John_Perkowski wrote:OK. Would that have been the U-25CG fleet? Other than their FP-45s/F-45s, those are the 6 axle passenger locomotives I know of from the 60s Santa Fe. The E units were long in the La Grange and Erie back lots by A-Day.

Santa Fe had sixteen passenger GE's, ten U28CG's (conventional hood bodies) and six U30CG (with cowl bodies). All ended up in freight service, and have long ago been scrapped.

Stuart
 #879576  by D.Carleton

goodnightjohnwayne wrote:The concept in question was a 10,000hp Bo-Bo-Bo design that died when Conrail, very correctly, decided to abandon electric traction. Nothing high speed about that locomotive.
That is correct; the GM10 was envisioned as a potential freight motor. It was an offshoot of the collaboration of EMD and ASEA; basically one and a half AEM-7's on a common frame. How would it ride at 110 mph? We may never know but it had to be better than an E60.
 #881321  by slchub

Jtgshu wrote:The Genesis/P40/P42 trucks ride awesome, even smoother than a Blomburg truck, however, the Blomburg isn't far behind.
See if you can get CHI to send some of those "awesome" riding motors our way on the CZ. Almost all of the P42 I've been on offer a terrible ride above 55 mph and they are getting worse by the month.