Railroad Forums 

• What Event Reminds You of a Cherished RR Memory ?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#874843  by 3rdrail

I couldn't find a suitable thread for this one so this looked like the closest I could come to it. While preparing my home for Thanksgiving tomorrow, and on my third cup of coffee, I was suddenly brought back to a favorite railway memory that is about 37 years old. It was a visit that I made to the Canadian Museum of Transport in Delson, Quebec, Canada. The more that I thought about it, I suddenly asked myself why this thought came back to me now. It was the coffee. Back then, I had driven up to Montreal in my first new car as a teenager to examine up close and personal, the fine lines of Canadian railways as well as some of the more striking examples of Canadian female DNA at work. I was there for a long weekend, about four days, and, as kids will do, made no plans whatsoever, so it came as a surprise when I found out that the museum was closed that particular weekend. Not to worry, I then planned to hit it on my way home to Boston, which was fine as it is going in that general direction anyway. Well, upon waking up early Monday, what did I hear but thunderous driving rain on the roof of the bread and breakfast that I was staying at. Not to be deterred, I made my way to Delson, but this time, was smart enough to stop at Dunkin Donuts (this thread was prompted by a reference to Dunkies on another thread) and get a large dark coffee- just the way I like it, filled to capacity in a large Dunkies thermos for the ride home. I'm still surprised to this day that I had the common sense to throw in a rain jacket in my car (maybe it had been there for months ???), so, in driving rain I toured the museum and very much enjoyed myself. Off-topic, but I would be remiss if I didn't put in a plug here, this museum is a jewel with beautiful equipment on display and a very friendly staff. (Years later, I wrote them regarding a French locomotive headlight that I had purchased at a show. They answered me with a long letter of description, etc. Thank you museum staff if you're listening !) Well, after I was satisfied that I saw everything ten times over, I headed for my car and the long drive south to Boston - in a completely soaked and near frozen condition ! I got in my car and remembered the thermos from Dunkies. I absolutely love coffee. The darker and stronger the better. It got me through many years of working nights and has been my morning wake-up companion for many years, I can tell you unequivocally that that cup of coffee in my car that afternoon in Delson was the best cup of coffee that I have ever had ! Often times now, 37 years later, I'll think of that time in Delson and remember the interurbans, trackless trolley, steam locomotives, museum staff, etc.

Perhaps, this week, during the Thanksgiving period, when we're all turkey'd out and would like to do something to keep awake (or not), it might be interesting to hear about other rail fan's experiences which have left an indelible memory which is fondly remembered and triggers railway momories. I'm fortunate that I have many. I'd love to hear about yours also. Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone !!!
 #874911  by MEC407

Great story, Mr. Joyce!

Happy Thanksgiving :-D