Railroad Forums 

• What's so wrong about liking trains?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#841312  by airman00

I have a question that I'm not sure where to ask. I'm also sure this has been asked before but I wouldn't know where to look for the answer, so I'll ask it here...

Why is it that anyone who likes trains is automatically branded as being weird and obsessed. Can't a person (man or woman) just like trains and not be constitued as being strange? When exactly did this type of "designation" start being applied to railbuffs?

I mean people like all kinds of things. Some people like flying model airplanes or some are hot air ballon enthusiasts, others like 4-wheeling in there atv's, etc, etc. But these people aren't labeled as strange. Ask anyone what they like doing or if they have a hobby or something like that, and people will tell you lots of different things, even if they just like reading a good book, it's still something. So why is it that trains are different?
 #841317  by DutchRailnut

No one minds railbuffs but when one is getting obsessive about one locomotive, and keeps forcing for answers and keeps repeating questions in 20 different forms.
then its time to go talk to a shrink
 #841320  by airman00

Well if it appears that perhaps I am or have already gotten a tad bit too much overboard with #502 then I apoligize. I mean not to have people thinking I'm out there. I'm just curious that's all. (and yes sometimes I do go overboard when it comes to trains just ask my wife :wink: ) In any event I get the idea... I'll lay off on #502.
 #841402  by justalurker66

airman00 wrote:Why is it that anyone who likes trains is automatically branded as being weird and obsessed. Can't a person (man or woman) just like trains and not be constitued as being strange? When exactly did this type of "designation" start being applied to railbuffs?
It may seem odd, but I've noticed that about a lot of industries with "fans". The people actually involved in the industry can't figure out why someone not involves cares. Likewise fans not involved in the industry can't figure out why those in the industry don't like the industry as much as they (as a fan) do.

There are levels where it can become an obsession. But that applies to all of the hobbies you note. Those in the industry can become obsessed as well and often we see tirades against fans. Personally I wish we all could just get along.
 #841426  by Nelson Bay

airman00 wrote:Why is it that anyone who likes trains is automatically branded as being weird and obsessed.........
Anyone who likes trains isn't automatically branded as being weird and obsessed. Just the ones that are weird and obsessed..... the foamers.

Edited by a Moderator (bbcode) 20 Aug 10 412PM CDT
 #841591  by airman00

You know, I thought of another reference point in line with this topic. It's probably a little bit of "been there done that".

In my line of work, we get alot of our customers who "stand and stare" at what we do. I work in the tree business and my father and I are tree climbers. (my father climbs more than me though) Now people are amazed at what we do, even refering to us as monkeys the way we move up in the trees. However, my father has done this all his life so even though others are amazed at what he can do, he's downplays his abilities. He likes what he does, but since he's done it his whole life it's like "been there done that"

The same goes for engineers and other railroad workers. If for example, CSX put engine #1128 (sw1001) as the sole power on the northern branch line, (in northern NJ), then there's a good chance railfanning activity would increase, as many buffs would like to see the old former reading railroad switcher. However, that engineer might be like, "what's the big deal? I ride this engine on a regular basis, it's nothing special" So while the average person is like "wow!", the railroad guy is like "big deal". So perhaps alot of this could boil down to "been there done that". Any thoughts?
 #841631  by umtrr-author

It's human nature to question, and perhaps make fun of (depending on maturity level, frankly) what doesn't appeal to us personally. Some people are more fervent about this than others. Who hasn't shaken their head at something and said, "I don't get it." Just about any hobby has its detractors...

There's also a marketing interest in trying to "guide" people into more mainstream activities that can be used to sell things to you. That means a collective interest in portraying those things that are not mainstream as "weird" or "strange" or perhaps worse, "cute" (in a juvenile way).

Last time I checked, there were no large corporate sponsors hanging banners down at the tracks where we Tuesday Night Gang members hang out. But just step into any of the, er, drinking establishments conveniently located in the same area...
 #841788  by justalurker66

umtrr-author wrote:Last time I checked, there were no large corporate sponsors hanging banners down at the tracks where we Tuesday Night Gang members hang out. But just step into any of the, er, drinking establishments conveniently located in the same area...
An interesting thought. I know of a few places where billboard/banner space could be sold to those who make and sell model trains, scanners, camera equipment and for train magazines, clubs and travel agencies ("don't just look, take a ride - on Amtrak!"). But I don't expect the railroads that own that property are interested in encouraging rail fans as much as the local bar owner is interested in encouraging consumption of bannered beverages. Perhaps if the railroads got more of a kickback from railfanning instead of just seeing it as a need for increased spending on security?
 #841790  by 3rdrail

As it is, the sales from model trains and related things will never even fringe the amount spent on sports activities, so there is no comparison. I think that there is a relevance to ones intelligence however, that the more intelligent that a person is, that generally the more accepting they are that "their" interest is not the "only" acceptible interest. I think that in many instances, those who ridicule others interests are insecure to the point where they are trying to boost their own interest by ridiculing others. The more that you understand this, the less it should bother you. I for one find a certain elitism and pride in the fact that my interests are not mainstream. Do you want to just follow the crowd or really look inside yourself and follow whatever you find ? I suspect that if you're already reading this post that you know the answer to that one.

For what it's worth, I found it interesting that Airman is a tree-climber, an interesting and tough job. The common misconception that has the train buff as the awkward pimple-faced virginal teenager is way incorrect. From those of you who I know on RR.Net, I know that many are "men's men", far from being geekish. I'll tell you briefly that in the 80's, as a Boston Police Patrolman, I was delighted to get a partner who like me, was a buff. We used to do tours of duty where we would check the district for the first few hours after midnight, and when things quieted down, we'd go checking out trains ! He loved steam and could rattle off statistics- tractive effort, pressure, weight, etc. etc. for any loco that you could name. His dream is to operate a steam RR on his own private property. This guy was no geek. He had more women than Hugh Hefner, lived life as he saw fit (used to play guitar on the sidewalk outside the station), and since retirement, is doing God knows what in Angola. Point being is you're with an interesting group of people. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
 #841944  by Gadfly

It, unfortunately, is a fact that the most over-top-ones are the ones who get noticed.
They, the wild-eyed, over-enthused kid with a bazillion patches on his striped overalls and red bandana, cause REAL railroaders to LAUGH at and MOCK them.At the center of it all is a simple difference in perspective. There are quiet, respectful fans whom I knew during my career, that I didn't mind at all. But, trust me! :-D There's some REAL wackos out there that we had to shoo off equipment, run out of yards, almost FIGHT to deal with. THESE people, we REMEMBER, right or wrong. Like the time I was first trick operator at Charlotte, NC one Saturday, and I had to take orders up to the steam train that was getting ready to leave. The landing was PACKED with people. As I approached the engine there was this young fella laden with cameras. I must have stepped in front of him (Heck, I was focused on doing my job), and he began to raise CAIN! So much so, I took offense to it and I almost POPPED him one!
We had one h--- of an argument, and I threatened to call the RR cops and have him ejected. He calmed down then! He'll never know how close he came to getting his little wormy butt bounced on the concrete! I later learned it wasn't the FIRST time he'd gotten into it with other RR employees!

That doesn't happen often, but it is why fans get called "foamers" or "the National Railway HYSTERICAL Society"!!!! :wink: :-D
 #841956  by airman00

Well thankfully I can assure you I'm not that bad. I wouldn't think of climbing on any peice of equipment unless it was ok to do so, such as at a railroad museum and even then only if they allowed it. And you won't find me hanging around any railyard like a bug attracted to a light bulb. If my liking #502 makes me a bit overboard then so be it. I'm ok with that. But it is interesting to see that the line between respectful fan and overboard one, is a line very easy to cross.
 #841976  by 3rdrail

For whatever reason, and there are a few, "foamers" don't have common sense to know that their interest is a hobby and the folks that work on the trains have an interest that is career oriented and supersedes theirs in the hierarchy of things. An individual who challenges a railroad employee or doesn't leave when told to should get locked up- no if's and's or buts. This is a relatively new and ugly phenomenon of railfans being so assertive, demanding what they think are their "rights". They are having exactly the opposite effect though of what they believe. Instead of opening the doors for fans to photograph, they are causing so much resentment that they are actually closing the door- or should I say "slam" ! For the respectful railfan like most of us, this type of fan is not your friend.
 #842034  by justalurker66

3rdrail wrote:For whatever reason, and there are a few, "foamers" don't have common sense to know that their interest is a hobby and the folks that work on the trains have an interest that is career oriented and supersedes theirs in the hierarchy of things. An individual who challenges a railroad employee or doesn't leave when told to should get locked up- no if's and's or buts. This is a relatively new and ugly phenomenon of railfans being so assertive, demanding what they think are their "rights". They are having exactly the opposite effect though of what they believe. Instead of opening the doors for fans to photograph, they are causing so much resentment that they are actually closing the door- or should I say "slam" ! For the respectful railfan like most of us, this type of fan is not your friend.
As long as you're talking about "meatspace" I agree. Although it should be noted that railfans often look at what they are doing from the perspective of "what harm am I doing" and employees have on occasion been outright mean toward people who were doing no harm (even those off property). A mature look at the situation through the other person's viewpoint is key.

In cyberspace I hope we can all get along without too much hierarchy. Unless one is at a site that is for insiders only or fans only we need to learn to live with each other.