Railroad Forums 

• Jordan Spreader parts needed

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#829622  by Highball116

Hello.

It's a longshot, but a handful of members at the Leatherstocking Railway Historical Society in Milford, NY have mechanically restored a Jordan Spreader to operating condition, with the exception of one chief component. The front plow is raised and lowered by a 23-inch pneumatic cylinder, and this was removed from the unit before its donation to the LRHS. I'm wondering if there are any wrecked or partially scrapped units out there that might yield the cylinder, possibly by donation. Longshot, like I said, but it's a start just to know where these things are. Thanks!

Toby
 #829636  by MEC407

This, too, is a longshot... but there's always a chance that it might yield something:

Pan Am Railways still owns at least one Jordan spreader that I am aware of. They still use it and I don't think they're looking to sell it, but it's possible that they might still have some spare parts for it. If not, maybe they might know where such parts could be obtained.

They keep it in Maine when it's not in use, so I would suggest contacting someone at their shop in Waterville, Maine, which is where they maintain locomotives and snow plows and, presumably, the Jordan Spreader.
 #831467  by Highball116

NYS&W actually did give us some excellent parts. There was (or still is) a junker sitting in Norwich, and they let us take some of the skirting from the front plow. They also gave us some of the locks for the wings, and I think some other bits and pieces. Alas, they had a cracked 23-inch cylinder in their collection, but sent it to the scrap yard.

Toby