Railroad Forums 

• USRA Era Steam | New England(?)

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#821247  by BHudson42

Esoteric passenger power; 4-4-2, heavy boiler (ala Baldwin?), no superheat, c.84" Drivers, Vanderbilt tender, may have been oil or coal. I remember having seen photos long ago of such a locomotive. Nothing in any of my many books on the subject. Anyone have any ideas? My bones say Erie-Lackawanna but no luck so far. The Vanderbilt tender smells of in shop repairs or modification. Working on (serious)vintage H-O brass.....
 #821258  by Allen Hazen

If no superheat, probably a bit before USRA era.
I think Reading had some high-drivered Atlantics, but not sure.
 #821389  by Triplex

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/atlantic/?page=err
Erie had nothing with drivers that high, though I see how the Vanderbilt would make you think that. EL didn't form until after the steam era.
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/atlantic/?page=pr
Reading had several with 84" drivers, but they may all have been camels.
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/rdg_steam1.html
Looks like the only non-camel Atlantics they had were rebuilt 4-4-4s that don't match your description.

Got a photo? Incidentally, this sounds like exactly the sort of locomotive I find attractive.
 #821409  by BHudson42

Details: I'm in the process of rebuilding a brass model (H-O). A vintage piece, still had the Pittman motor and Bakelite pinion. Kept the motor, all it needed was tuning up. Hobbed a pinion last night. No Bakelite in the shop, I had to use Micarta... Lapped it with the worm; looks like crap but runs smooth.

The piece was accompanied by a poorly built tender, scratched from the look of it. Tender is obviously not original to the model. I had to make several parts to get it usable. Just finished the third iteration of the same piece, a different mistake every time. :( .....Break time.....

Drivers measure 0.920 over the tread, with deep flanges. Not toy train deep but twice RP-25 contour. That's 80" in H-O and the usual practice was to go undersized so the flanges don't look so bad. That's where the 84" came from. Too recent and too big for what I model, but I enjoy the rebuild work, and it has me curious whence it came. Very well made; but I'm not 100% sure the boiler matches the frame. Machined from solid bar, not laid up from flat stock, but otherwise the locomotive appears commercial. Several details attached with #00-90 screws.(0.046")

The reason I am asking, I recall seeing photos of such a locomotive long ago. Ugly as sin when I first laid it out on the bench, with the fat boiler and Vandy tender; but sorta growing on me as I work on it. Like to find out more. Though to ask around, see what references I could find. Perhaps paint it and letter with the correct name and number series. Only a model but I can take a photo of it if you want. HudsonTelCom
 #821495  by Allen Hazen

B&O sometimes used Vanderbilt tenders, but quick check of Stauffer "B&O Power" doesn't show any on 442.