Railroad Forums 

• Question about a train's wheels.

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#811823  by osotegreat

I was reading the thread that had pictures of DC's light rail being unloaded, and I noticed that one picture displayed the wheels on a bed, with no track underneath.

This may sound like a somewhat stupid question, but wouldn't this wear down the wheels? I know that it is not the very bottom of a train's wheels which rest on a track, but this seemed odd to me.

Thank you
 #811939  by 3rdrail

Usually, railway wheels are amazingly strong. They have to be for the forces that they have to endure. Magnesium and all sorts of alloys goes into them to produce a very tough product. Additionally, I'd be willing to bet that some sort of a "bed" had been placed underneath the wheels such as wood. The wheels flanges depress into the softer surface resulting in the equivalent of soft guard rail.
 #811941  by John_Perkowski

It'd be nice to know which pictures you're talking about... :)

The flange normally is not a load bearing member, rather it's the guide-piece. Even so, sometimes wheelsets rest on flanges, albeit briefly.
 #811946  by osotegreat

John_Perkowski wrote:It'd be nice to know which pictures you're talking about... :)

The flange normally is not a load bearing member, rather it's the guide-piece. Even so, sometimes wheelsets rest on flanges, albeit briefly.

From this thread
 #812281  by John_Perkowski

Yes, they were on their flanges. Not a best practice. OTOH, we are talking about a streetcar, not a 4-6-2 steamer ;)

I presume the folks who were there knew what they were doing...
 #813764  by justalurker66

John_Perkowski wrote:Yes, they were on their flanges. Not a best practice. OTOH, we are talking about a streetcar, not a 4-6-2 steamer ;)

I presume the folks who were there knew what they were doing...
Is the flange touching? It appears to be floating to me ... which would suggest some rigging was holding the weight of the train off of the wheels.