Railroad Forums 

• Can someone explain FRA Standards?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#792607  by ldestouches

I have been desperately searching for info on a topic that comes up frequently around here -- namely, the FRA standards/guidelines regulating rolling stock, particularly as it applies to passenger trains sharing track with freight.

Could somebody direct me to a site, paper, article, book, or anything that explains this? Something fit for academic citation is preferred, but honestly I would be thrilled by any explanation I can get.

I hope I'm putting this inquiry in the right place. Thanks a million.
 #792662  by DutchRailnut

Here is perfect self study site :

US Government Printing Office specific website for FRA documents

Kock yourself out ;-)

Edited by a Moderator (url to English hyperlink) 7 Apr 2010 715AM CDT
 #793005  by ldestouches

Thank you for that, although I am still searching for something that provides an analysis. I found TCRP report 52, which I'm still going through, which gives some analysis and puts in an international context - although it's from 1999 so parts may be outdated... TCRP 130 is helpful too. A lot of articles (and people on this board) make references to the FRA standards, but it's hard to get a real sense of the what it all means just from reading the regs.

Anywho, thanks again.. Getting through it, but still searching and hoping for an 'idiot's guide'.

Best,
L
 #793048  by DutchRailnut

No CFR for dummies ;-) but if your looking for something specific , ask me in a PM.
More than willing to push you in right direction.
 #793264  by ldestouches

Wow, that's very kind of you.. I'm still working through the regs and the info I've found, but you can bet I'll be taking you up on that offer when I inevitably hit a snag. Thanks.