Railroad Forums 

• What are cab signals?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#791809  by airman00

I have noticed alot on this website, where loco's are descibed as having cab signals. I figure it's got something to do with the red/green/yellow train signal lights on the side of railroads that tell trains when to go or stop. But I still don't get what are cab signals?
 #791842  by RedLantern

A cab signal is a signal unit mounted in the locomotive cab which shows the aspect of the next signal down the line. These can allow the engineer to see the next signal before he gets to that point. They can also be used to add signals to the line without erecting signal masts. Some shortlines even use them just so that they don't have to erect and maintain wayside signals. Some cab signals will also show the current speed limit for that section of track (changing with restrictions). The FRA requires cab signals to be used on any train where the normal operating speed can exceed 79mph.

I'm sure someone else can provide a more detailed explanation.
 #792224  by airman00

Thanks that helps. :-) I read on this site though that conrail inherited a fleet of SW1001's from reading railroad that had cab signals installed. (by reading railroad, I believe) So I always wondered what those were and why those engines would need them, But now I understand they help the engineer to know what the next signal will be. Perhaps anyone else has more info?
 #792291  by airman00

DutchRailnut wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cab_signalling
Hey thanks. I didn't know it was so detailed. Cab signals are a good thing then. I gather your an engineer, do you like cab signals? I imagine it beats having to look for the wayside signal color. And have you ever had a engine shut down, like the article said on the NJT pascack valley line?