Railroad Forums 

• Electrical cables on a BN covered hopper

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#705161  by Hoosier Joe

Recently we unloaded a 1994 BN covered hopper at the grain terminal. What made this car unusual was the electrical cables which ran the length of the car,with the cables ending at connecting jacks at the car's ends.One cable appeared to be fastened to a sensor on a brake beam.First time we saw such a device. What was it's purpose ? All I can surmise is it sent a signal when the brakes were on or off. Any other thoughts ? Joe
 #706277  by NV290

Pictures would definatley help, or at least a more accurate description. Did these cables look like they were meant to be there and properly secured and painted to match? or were they zip tied in place and looking temporary? How large were the cables and how many? Small electronic type cables or thick power type cables? You say "Jacks" at the end of the car, what kind? like plug?, or a hanging cable like an MU cable?
 #706290  by NV290

Plate F wrote:I'm thinking possibly for the new electric brake system, but I don't think the cable would be out like that.
That was what i was getting out. It could very well be EPIC cables, thats why i asked what they looked like and if they looked temporary.
 #706462  by Hoosier Joe

Looked like a pair of 14 gage power cables in a conduit,added after the hopper car was built. Male/female plug at end of cables. Unpainted conduit pipe about 1" diameter going the length of the car. Appeared to be at least five years old.Electrical not electronic.I plan on Googling Epic brake system. Perhaps if the car comes in again I will be able to find out more about it .Cameras aren't allowed on the premises. Thanks for the suggestions. Joe
 #706520  by Plate F

Was the cable along the bottom of the car, running along the brake pipe? Or is it mounted on the side of the car? And they have camera phones for a reason :) lol
 #710205  by Pennsyjohn

At one time they had pusher engines in the center of trains, as well as at the end.

Perhaps they were control cables? Or emergency stops (cable disconnects, pusher shuts off)?

Sure will be interesting to find out.

Pennsyjohn
 #710230  by NV290

Pennsyjohn wrote:At one time they had pusher engines in the center of trains, as well as at the end.

Perhaps they were control cables? Or emergency stops (cable disconnects, pusher shuts off)?

Sure will be interesting to find out.

Pennsyjohn
Mid train helpers and rear train helpers work via radio signal. Even the earliest systems. They have never used cables. So it would have nothing to do with that. If they are not EPIC cables, which based on the description it sounds like they are not, they are more then likley part of an experiment taking place on the car. The AAR and TTC often perform tests with cars in trains and connect them to some sort of monitoring equipment. That sounds like what these cables might be.