Railroad Forums 

• Handcars... or, at Least, Wheels?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#640763  by Komachi

Hey guys,

I have a friend who is looking to obtain an old-fashioned, handcar.

Although, given their rarity, I'm going to assume that may be easier said than done, yes?

Does anyone know if there is a company out there that makes reproduction handcars? Or, is there anyone who makes the wheels for handcars? They're the same type that were used on the motorized speeders, aren't they, or are they different? He says he can have a handcar fabricated by another friend of his (although, if he can get a ready-made reproduction, I'd prefer to save him the expense of having a one-off made), but he needs the wheels for it.

Any suggestions and/or information would be appreciated. Thanks, guys!
 #640936  by Gadfly

HA! VERY unlikely! Believe it or not, we had one at the Charlotte Roadway Shops in the 90's! It had been stored in a crate in Roanoke since the 1930's, and was discovered accidently. It was BRAND NEW, Old Stock, or rebuilt as new. It came to NS's Roadway Shops in the early 90's with a view towards being put on permanent display. For years it sat on Track 9 in the newest backshop (where Tampers and Ballast Regulators were rebuilt), and we actually (with permission from supervisors) got it out and ran it up and down the yard tracks a couple of times. it was also put on display during employee "Safety" day cookouts.

I know what you are thinking and you can forget it! :wink: They wouldn't part with it for a million bucks!!!!!! :-D If they ever DID do away with it, it would most likely go to the NC Transportation Museum at Spencer. NC. The likelihood of laying hands on an original is about a million to one odds!!!

Gadfly
 #641057  by David Benton

there was one on trade me here (local ebay ) . dated from the 1890's so theres a chance its of american origin . narrow gauge of course . they wanted about USD $2500 for it .
edit , adding link , http://www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques-colle ... 764672.htm
 #641084  by 3rdrail

I know a girl who'll sell you one cheap. Only thing is that you have to go to Guatemala to get it ! :-D
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... /guat1.jpg
 #641880  by MEC407

Might end up being cheaper to just build one yourself!
 #681213  by RedLantern

You might be able to cut old wheel rims (built for cars) in half, the shape and the flange would be about right. You could also buy from this site but $225 per wheel might be a little too pricey.
 #681651  by Gadfly

For the wheels, try Fairmont Railway Motors, Fairmont, MN. They may still make wheels for various equipment cars---even motor cars. The wheel are about the same for both.

gadfly
 #914841  by lfish

The one I am referring to that I have is full guage and is totally original. It is the one that four people can pump. It is complete except for one half of the side of one of the pump handles. I know where it came from because it has been in my family for over 120 years. all wheels,gears and original wood it complete. It was stored in a wood building for over eighty years. I am trying to find out what it is worth.
Thank's
 #915556  by John_Perkowski

lfish,

While we can ask here on the Forum, to me this is time to visit one of the established railroad museums and ask a curator. A good deck of pictures from all possible angles will help.
 #915578  by JasW

This is what I'd like to give a spin someday:

#915714  by litz

As noted above, though ....

14", 16" and 20" wheels will set you back at least $1k for a set of 4.

And the scary thing is ... that's for pressed wheels.

Cast wheels are scary expensive ... OTOH, they last forever, under a "hobbyist" level of use.

It's something all of us in the NARCOA community dread, 'cause it's something that wears out eventually no matter what you do.

The same wheels are used on pretty much everything from the old handcars, to the NARCOA speeders, to the modern MoW equipment.

Do note, that whatever you do -- don't bootleg track time.

That light in the end of the tunnel could very well be an oncoming train ... and you WILL lose.

Moderators Note: Edited to emphasize the safety precaution 3-29-11 1136 CDT.