Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive cabs

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1185342  by BobLI

NS must not have liked the desktop style cab. I have read that engineers hated that style. Can any one comment who has used desktop vs traditional style?
 #1186504  by gp9rm4108

Desktop control stands suck.

Straight up. No room for your legs underneath because of the air brake system.
 #1188734  by Desertdweller

I've run a lot of locomotives of both types.

I like the desktop style better.

You are sitting facing straight ahead.

Brake controls are located where they are handy to the right hand (may be awkward for left-handed engineers).

Speedometer and ammeter are directly ahead. On older designs, the speedometer is hung in a location that looks like it was an afterthought.

No levers projecting at you to bang knees or head on. Much safer in an accident.

A flat work surface in front of you, where you can keep your paperwork.

A hole to put your coffee cup in.

Les
 #1188739  by scharnhorst

Here is a rare treat the control stand in Sparry Rail Service Car 125 most of the older converted Doodle Bugs have the same set up.
Attachments:
SRS 125.jpg
SRS 125.jpg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 10597 times
 #1189184  by Desertdweller

Scharnhorst,

That is a nice picture. The wood paneling in the cab is a nice touch, something I did not expect to see.

Les
 #1189234  by scharnhorst

all of the order Sperry cars are all like this the living areas even have linoleum floors in them.
 #1190383  by MEC407

AEM-7 cab interior: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=438085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1191236  by MEC407

Dash 8-40CM cab interior: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=438453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1199840  by Desertdweller

See the little drawer on the left, below the phone handset?

If you turn the little brass handle on it, and pull the drawer out, you will find a hole in the drawer you can put your coffee cup in.

Les
 #1199916  by MEC407

Clever!
 #1235346  by Engineer Spike

Those cup holders are too shallow. One good low joint, and the drink goes flying. We usually keep the inspection sheet booklets in the drawer.
 #1290170  by gp9rm4108

A new to CN C40-8. A few things to point out. CN has changed the seats, changed the positioning of the seats on the conductor's side, added a speaker on the conductor's side, added an overhead light, installed the hotplate and microwave, installed modern electronics above the fridge and installed the camera. You now have storage space under the microwave and under the heater in the space opposite the fridge. Behind the door in the nose is of course, the toilet.

#1301903  by gp9rm4108

CN did that. That engine you were on probably had the DP software installed on it.
 #1334768  by scharnhorst

Anyone have photos of the inside of an SD45??