Favorite Lesser-Known engines?

General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

ConstanceR46

Re: Favorite Lesser-Known engines?

Post by ConstanceR46 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:46 pm

The RSC-24 reminds me, proportionwise, of the soviet TGM4. Both look like someone accidentally shrunk an alco.

ironeagle2006

Post by ironeagle2006 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Here's one that is rare was a Rebuild also. The SF30C of the Santa Fe. The first of the Super 7's as the boys that rebuilt them called them in Cleburne TX. They took a U36C that no one wanted rebuilt the freaking thing adding a lot of Dash 7 electronics to the locomotive plus upgraded the engine when they overhauled them. They got about 12-14 years of use out of them.

Allen Hazen

Post by Allen Hazen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Ironeagle--
Yes, I too have a soft spot in my heart for the SF30C: one of the last "new" types to have the "classic" GE lines, with the curved cab roof. Pity the Santa Fe abandoned the program after converting about two-thirds (?) of their U36C fleet.
There are (at least) two visible carbody modifications: narrower, Dash-8 stye, short hood (for easier cab access?), and a bulge in the sides of the long hood just in front of the radiators, which I have always assumed (since corresponds in position to the wide hood section on Dash-7 units) marks a Dash-7 style mounting of some internal equipment.

eolesen

Post by eolesen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Crandall Cabs... E8B's and E9B's that were given a home-grown cab by the CNW. Fugly beasts, but I do wish one had been spared the torch.

scottychaos

Post by scottychaos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Here is one i've always been fond of, because I got to visit it several times in person when I was a teenager. I never saw it operate however.

Photo from 1984.
"The Romanian-built "Faur Quarterhorse" spent her last few years sitting dead, deep within the former LVRR Sayre, PA yard. She was scrapped there in the late 80's."

I believe it was the only one of its species to ever make it to the USA.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/71192/

Scot

Scot
~ Scot Lawrence
Moderator: Lehigh Valley
Co-Moderator: Anthracite Railroads
Scot's railroad webpages

spRocket

Post by spRocket » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:54 pm

The EMD AB6, of which two were built (both for the Rock Island), was another mutant E-unit. I only saw them in operation for a few years at the end of their service, long after they had been refitted for commuter service.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_ri751.jpg
When it's a tie at the railroad crossing, you lose.

CarterB

Post by CarterB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:41 pm

spRocket wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:54 pm
The EMD AB6, of which two were built (both for the Rock Island), was another mutant E-unit. I only saw them in operation for a few years at the end of their service, long after they had been refitted for commuter service.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_ri751.jpg
We called them "Smash noses" back in Chicago.
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!

ExCon90

Post by ExCon90 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:18 pm

I think that all in all, the Rock Island had the most eclectic assortment of commuter motive power I ever heard of anywhere; it calls to mind a popular song during the Depression with a chorus that went "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

Return to “General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment”