Railroad Forums 

• Built-in Marker Lights

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1452246  by Statkowski

What railroad's cars first came with built-in marker lights on their ends? For example, the New Haven Railroad's 1930s-era streamlined cars from Pullman-Standard's Osgood-Bradley plant in Worcester, Mass. needed separate marker lights mounted, but their 1947 order of stainless steel cars had the markers installed on the ends with both red and yellow lights.

No, we're not talking about streamlined observation cars with their built-in lights, but regular, run-of-the-mill coaches and/or sleepers.
 #1452255  by mtuandrew

Moderator’s Note: interesting topic, I don’t even know when electric end-of-train lights became the rule. Moving this to General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock and Equipment because I think it fits a bit better there.
 #1452437  by ExCon90

The PRR had a lot of rebuilt P70's in service on what is now the "Corridor" with built-in red "pinhole" marker lights. I can't pin down the date they were first introduced, but I think it was around 1947 or -48. I found a website with a lot of material on the P70's intended primarily for modelers, with not one mention of marker lights--I thought modelers would demand that kind of information. One thing I always thought a little peculiar was the kerosene markers on the electric mus on the CN Montreal-Deux Montagnes line, and sometimes wondered whether there was a regulation in Canada requiring kerosene markers even on equipment where built-in electric markers ought to be a "given."
 #1452639  by John_Perkowski

The Pioneer Zephyr and the City of Salina both had marker lights designed into the architecture of their observations. That places the timeline at 1933.