Railroad Forums 

• Uknown piece or rail from my great grandfather

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1402340  by tiras25

Not sure if correct forum. Maybe someone can suggest or point to the right direction here.
Does anyone know what is this? Great grandfather gave me when I was a teen. Looks like a piece of cut out rail section?

Dimensions:
Total height 4 1/8"
Head width 2 1/4"
Width foot 4 1/4"
Fishing width 1/4"

Hammered: KRUPP 1881

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...WtJeDVBSDFmRUk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone knows? Any historicaly significant lines were built in that time? And is it from a light rail or what kind rail? Thanks!!
 #1402374  by CarterB

There was Krupp rail manufactured in 1881 that was removed from Santa Fe trackage, approaching the old Ferry landing, along Pacific Highway, in Downtown San Diego.
In the 1920s a lot of Krupp rail. but dated later. Your sizes indicate either 50 or 55 lb rail, not usually used even that time for main line heavy duty routes.
Do you know approx what part of the country your ancestor may have gotten the rail section?
 #1402413  by tiras25

Thank you for your reply. He was born in San Francisco and lived in California Bay Area all these time. 55 years in San Mateo County. Unfortunately this is all I know..

I maybe 1/16" off here and there. But pretty much accurate measurements.
 #1402456  by John_Perkowski

It could have been any number of sidings or spurs. Santa Fe had a lot of onside business in the Central Valley.