Railroad Forums 

• New Mass Rail Car Builder! (or not) - Vertex Rail Mfg

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1254587  by KEN PATRICK

there is a 48000 new build backlog so the market is certainly there. delivery times are 18 months. American Railcar Industries just re-opened the closed ACF railcar plant in Milton, PA. National Steel Car in Hamilton, Ont is adding capacity. Greenbriar is building tanks. I remain skeptical about the fortunes of a start-from-scratch railcar builder in Worcester. ken patrick
 #1254604  by newpylong

Might I suggest perusing the minutes of the planning board for the City of Worcester? While the zoning most likely has not changed, if the building modifications they are making are drastic enough, they may have applied for a Site Plan Special Permit. Another lead might be the Tax Assessor, if they are not leasing.
 #1254771  by BandA

If I knew how to make railcars, I would too. It's a good opportunity. If you can start up now you can make some real money while you figure out how to be efficient. 3-4 years from now and you may have missed the market.
 #1259565  by bostontrainguy

And it's not even April 1st yet!

http://www.masslive.com/business-news/i ... plant.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.masslive.com/business-news/i ... y_pro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While the MBTA contract is important, Lu said Changchun wants to use Springfield as a hub for its expansion across North America.

Lu said the company has looked at 50 sites around Massachusetts. The Springfield site stood out because of its size, 40 acres, because it is clear of buildings and because it has access to highway and rail networks.

Hats Kageyama, a consultant for Changchun, said that transportation network could allow Changchun to do railroad cars for cities up and down the East Coast and into Canada.

"They make everything form freight cars to state-of-the-art maglev trains," Kageyama said. "The business potential is tremendous."
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1259867  by eastwind

bostontrainguy wrote:RE: "Orange Line cars would have to be shipped out by truck because there is no interchange with the main line. Other finished cars could leave by rail."

Wouldn't really take much to add a connection at Oak Grove or around Wellington.
But would that activate the "connected to the national rail network" language in the CFR?
 #1259968  by MaineCoonCat

eastwind wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:RE: "Orange Line cars would have to be shipped out by truck because there is no interchange with the main line. Other finished cars could leave by rail."

Wouldn't really take much to add a connection at Oak Grove or around Wellington.
But would that activate the "connected to the national rail network" language in the CFR?
Placing myself at great risk of correction, my uneducated guess is "No" based on the connection between the Green Line and the "B&A Main" at Riverstde.
 #1260003  by bostontrainguy

papabarn wrote:
eastwind wrote:

Placing myself at great risk of correction, my uneducated guess is "No" based on the connection between the Green Line and the "B&A Main" at Riverstde.
That is still there, and I have been told that it (AKA "The Test Track") is going to be "reactivated".

BTW - I never checked it out, but I was told that during the Democratic National Convention a substantial new railroad station was built on that track just in case there was a need to evacuate the Garden and rush John Kerry out of the area. Don't quite understand why that building would have been necessary, but an interesting exploration might be in order!
 #1260006  by bostontrainguy

papabarn wrote:
eastwind wrote:

Actually, thinking this over a bit, where is there a physical connection between the Red Line and the "National Rail Network"? You kind of think something exists around Cabot, but in reality I don't think there is one.
 #1260224  by newpylong

How much of a premium do you think the taxpayers are paying for new railcars with the mandate to built in MA? Without manufacturing capacity, someone is going to have to build this from scratch, and that isn't going to be cheap. Would a stipulation that they be built in the US be better? Or is there no capacity period here?
 #1260249  by BandA

newpylong wrote:How much of a premium do you think the taxpayers are paying for new railcars with the mandate to built in MA? Without manufacturing capacity, someone is going to have to build this from scratch, and that isn't going to be cheap. Would a stipulation that they be built in the US be better? Or is there no capacity period here?
The premium will be more than what the state will collect in income tax from the company and any empoloyees. After the order the assembly plant will be closed.
 #1262108  by MaineCoonCat

bostontrainguy wrote:
papabarn wrote:
eastwind wrote:

Actually, thinking this over a bit, where is there a physical connection between the Red Line and the "National Rail Network"? You kind of think something exists around Cabot, but in reality I don't think there is one.
You might find this post in Re: MBTA track interconnects? to be of interest.