Railroad Forums 

• New Mass Rail Car Builder! (or not) - Vertex Rail Mfg

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1262180  by MaineCoonCat

bostontrainguy wrote: That is still there, and I have been told that it (AKA "The Test Track") is going to be "reactivated".

BTW - I never checked it out, but I was told that during the Democratic National Convention a substantial new railroad station was built on that track just in case there was a need to evacuate the Garden and rush John Kerry out of the area. Don't quite understand why that building would have been necessary, but an interesting exploration might be in order!
I'd be interested in more about this "station". Is it something that might merit a thread in MBTA Rail Operations? FWIW, Google Earth imagery from March 31, 2005 doesn't seem to show anything.
 #1274833  by Cowford

Cosmo, are you camped out trackside to catch those tank cars rolling outa Worcester? Q2's end is just three weeks away! :P
 #1274850  by rottentie

maybe he was refering to this

Palmer Hobbies, 1428 Main St., Palmer,MA, is now open.

as a source for the tank cars

they did open in q2 :-D :-D
 #1274943  by bwparker1

Cowford wrote:Cosmo, are you camped out trackside to catch those tank cars rolling outa Worcester? Q2's end is just three weeks away! :P
LOL!
 #1275092  by Cosmo

Cowford wrote:Cosmo, are you camped out trackside to catch those tank cars rolling outa Worcester? Q2's end is just three weeks away! :P
Sadly no, I'm stuck here in Norwich, CT (the site of some extant car-manufacturing buildings from WAY back, incidentally, ) kicking myself in the butt for missing watching the latest VRR acquisition (an 80 tonner loco) pass less than a mile from my house. :(
 #1299263  by bostontrainguy

GOVERNOR PATRICK ANNOUNCES MBTA'S RECOMMENDED COMPANY TO BUILD NEW SUBWAY CARS IN MASSACHUSETTS:

Governor Deval Patrick today announced that the MBTA will present to the Board of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) the recommended company to manufacture and deliver 284 new subway cars for the Red and Orange Lines, replacing decades-old vehicles.

Governor Patrick announced that the recommended company, CNR MA, will build a 150,000 square foot facility in Springfield to assemble the vehicles, creating over 250 new manufacturing and construction jobs in the region.
 #1299265  by Sir Ray

bostontrainguy wrote:GOVERNOR PATRICK ANNOUNCES MBTA'S RECOMMENDED COMPANY TO BUILD NEW SUBWAY CARS IN MASSACHUSETTS:

Governor Deval Patrick today announced that the MBTA will present to the Board of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) the recommended company to manufacture and deliver 284 new subway cars for the Red and Orange Lines, replacing decades-old vehicles.
OK, so Vertex Rail will be converting tank cars into subway cars then, correct? Certainly outside-the-box thinking... :P
 #1299409  by Cosmo

Sir Ray wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:GOVERNOR PATRICK ANNOUNCES MBTA'S RECOMMENDED COMPANY TO BUILD NEW SUBWAY CARS IN MASSACHUSETTS:

OK, so Vertex Rail will be converting tank cars into subway cars then, correct? Certainly outside-the-box thinking... :P
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh..... sheeeerrrrrrrrr! Image
 #1299512  by Sir Ray

Cosmo wrote:
Sir Ray wrote:OK, so Vertex Rail will be converting tank cars into subway cars then, correct? Certainly outside-the-box thinking... :P
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh..... sheeeerrrrrrrrr! Image
Hey, what the original topic of this thread again? Not my problem if it got redirected from it's original purpose over the months...
 #1299552  by bostontrainguy

Some more information:

VI. CNR MA’S TECHNICAL APPROACH AND MANUFACTURING PLAN

China CNR Corporation Limited is the largest rail car manufacturer in the world, with a
production capacity of 1,000 high speed trains, 1,200 mass transit vehicles and 500 railway
vehicles. CNR’s facility in Changchun, China covers 53 million square feet and is one of the
largest transit vehicle facilities in the world. CNR has indicated that two manufacturing lines at
the Changchun facility will be dedicated to the MBTA Orange and Red Line project. The
Changchun facility also features four test tracks for mass transit vehicles, with additional test
tracks for high speed rail.

CNR has extensive experience manufacturing stainless steel carbodies and implementing vehicle
weight management, which is described with a high level of detail in their Part B Technical
Proposal. CNR utilizes advanced manufacturing methods and equipment such as robotic and
laser welding, as well as advanced car component material such as carbon fiber. Additionally,
through site visits conducted on behalf of the MBTA, we have confirmed that CNR has a high
level of engineering competence with more than 600 employees devoted to Research and
Development.

CNR MA intends to build a new manufacturing facility for final assembly of the new Orange and
Red Line vehicles at 655 Page Boulevard in Springfield, Massachusetts, which will serve as CNR MA’s North American headquarters. The Springfield site is an environmentally cleared 40 acre site that is “shovel ready.” CNR MA plans to build a facility that includes over 150,000 square feet of manufacturing and office space. This facility will include a dynamic test track,
which will enable testing prior to shipment of the vehicles to the Authority. CNR MA plans to
invest $60 million of its own resources into this facility.

The MBTA recognizes that the new Orange and Red Line vehicles represent CNR’s first
experience providing heavy rail vehicles to the North American market. As such, the Authority
has negotiated a number of contract provisions designed to mitigate risk, which are described in
greater detail in Section X of this Staff Summary.

CNR MA has conducted extensive local outreach in order to staff its Massachusetts facility,
including partnering with the City of Springfield’s Office of Planning and Economic
Development, Putnam Vocational Technical Academy, Western New England College, UMass
Amherst College of Engineering, Regional Employment Board of Hampden County, and the
Pioneer Valley Construction Trades. CNR MA projects approximately 150 jobs at its
Massachusetts facility, plus an additional 100 jobs during construction.
 #1299826  by MaineCoonCat

Sir Ray wrote: OK, so Vertex Rail will be converting tank cars into subway cars then, correct? Certainly outside-the-box thinking... :P
Will they locate their manufacturing facility on The North Brookfield Railroad? Image

Sorry but I had to..
 #1300088  by daylight4449

papabarn wrote:
Sir Ray wrote: OK, so Vertex Rail will be converting tank cars into subway cars then, correct? Certainly outside-the-box thinking... :P
Will they locate their manufacturing facility on The North Brookfield Railroad? Image

Sorry but I had to..
I'm just gonna put this out there, but what can make more money faster? Building new tank cars, or building a shortline? I already know I've said it before, but I guess it needs to be put out there again... And beyond that, we're not entitled to all of the inner workings that are going on around these projects. It's called private enterprise for a reason, so for now we just sit back and wait to see what happens.

Edited by an Admin, 10-27-14
 #1300091  by Cosmo

Dylan....

...I worship your sense of the ironic!
 #1300110  by CannaScrews

Contents of post redacted by an Admin