Railroad Forums 

• DL&W Heritage Unit

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1058429  by TSTOM

Can't see it in your pic Jack but other photos on-line show the B-end....and IMO it looks goofy. And the logo decal up high near the roof looks like a " where can we stick this thing " decision to me.

Just my .02 but see the photos within the LACKAWANNA F3 Recreation thread. THAT'S a freight scheme....and these modern behemoths are indeed freight engines.
 #1058445  by Tadman

Do a search in Google Images - it's a stunner and well worth it.
 #1058467  by blockline4180

Cactus Jack wrote:
Now what if NS would restore one of the ex-EL SD45-2's back into a 3600 since they are not going to do an EL heritage unit.

V-20 engine and on the point of 2ndNY 100 optional !!

Provide the cash, and the EL blueprints for the repaint and paint codes, and I'm sure NS will happily oblige and consider your requests!! :-)
 #1058572  by Cactus Jack

I have not yet seen the other angles ....maybe I wont be so positive .... but at least they acknowledged the DL&W.

I suspect if I handed NS the cash and blue prints that would be way easier than trying to get them to reinstall a V20 and run a "heritage 2ndNY 100" over the west end for any amount of greenbacks a printing press could print !

I wonder what some of these paint jobs cost. When I was involved with some contract locomotive painting our cost before mark up was in the $18K range with Imron and non-union shop ( and that now is pushing ten years ago for a Class I). The railroad provided the "decals" stick on logos and stripes and all the little stuff like "Emergency Fuel Shut Off", Danger 600 volts" "Fire Extinguisher etc. - they also provided the prints and acceptable paint match.

Years ago I was also involved with the first round of painting of the pseudo ERIE E-8's. Neat project and we had a rep from Dupont and some chemists that made the conversion from the old Duco product to Imron ... or at least I think it was Imron we shot and not acylic enamel. Been a long time now. What I remember the most is when they pulled the Dupont paint record for the Erie green the guy said "Geez, we haven't mixed that since the '50's !" The other gthing I recall was trying to reinstall those Farr grills .... uggghhh.
 #1058679  by Matt Langworthy

TSTOM wrote:Can't see it in your pic Jack but other photos on-line show the B-end....and IMO it looks goofy. And the logo decal up high near the roof looks like a " where can we stick this thing " decision to me.

Just my .02 but see the photos within the LACKAWANNA F3 Recreation thread. THAT'S a freight scheme....and these modern behemoths are indeed freight engines.
It looks like NS had to put the DL&W decal up high on the rear end of #1074 because of the vents that are located where the decal would normally be. It's a practical solution to the situation, IMO.