Railroad Forums 

• Erie & Lackawanna RR bridges over Unio Road, Cheekatowga, NY

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#968037  by terry03

Attached is a picture of 3 Railroad bridges over Union Road in Cheekatowga, New York. All three were built at the same time of the Department of Public Works, State of New York. The railroads are the Erie, the Lackawanna, and the Lehigh Valley Railroads. Does anyone know what year these bridges were built?
Attachments:
(358.66 KiB) Downloaded 2857 times
(358.66 KiB) Downloaded 2857 times
 #971963  by wdburt1

The Erie's Union Road underpass was built in 1941.

Are you sure these are Union Road? They look more like Broadway. The Erie's underpass there was built in 1931. I assume the other two were built at the same time but have no info about that.

WDB
 #971971  by terry03

wdburt1 wrote:The Erie's Union Road underpass was built in 1941.

Are you sure these are Union Road? They look more like Broadway. The Erie's underpass there was built in 1931. I assume the other two were built at the same time but have no info about that.

WDB
No, I am not sure it was Union Road. Then you look down on them with Google Earth it looked like they were the bridges that crossed at Union. There were three bridges in a row. The first was the Lackawanna, then the Erie and last was the Lehigh Valley RR. Its looks to be less than a 100 Ft. between all three bridges.
 #971982  by terry03

wdburt1 wrote:But the highway is straight at Union Road and is an S-curve at Broadway. Plus, I would guess that they were paving their roads by 1941.

WDB
I see what you mean. The road does curve in my picture. I certainly could be Broadway.
 #972136  by terry03

wdburt1 wrote:But the highway is straight at Union Road and is an S-curve at Broadway. Plus, I would guess that they were paving their roads by 1941.

WDB
I'm pretty sure now that you are right. It is Broadway Street. What I do know is that the State of New York built the bridges and not the railroad. Broadway St is a state highway while union road is not. I should have caught that?