Railroad Forums 

• LACKAWANNA F3 Recreation !

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#847002  by rbenko

Wow - tremendous job!! Can't wait to seem them out on the road. Everyone involved deserves a round of applause!
 #847051  by blockline4180

Saw them at Steamtown today...Beautiful locomotives...Kudos to Tri-State for recreating the perfect DL&W freight scheme paint job!!
 #913064  by daylight4449

Tri-State Tom wrote:Proceeding from the 'grey ghost' scheme during the NRHS Convention to the full freight scheme to match the ARHS #664 sister unit.

http://tristaterail.org/f3_progress_report.html

Also note word that the 'B' unit will be joining the two F's in Scranton for an eventual matched set.

:wink:
Does anyone realize that the B unit is ex-B&M 4268B? An F7B model.
 #922920  by arjay3

Does anyone realize that the B unit is ex-B&M 4268B? An F7B model?
Yes. But it has F3 chicken wire and an older engine than eith of the two F3 A-units
It was the only one of the three (4265, 4267, 4268) on the Billerica scrap line that didn't get cut.
RWJ
 #923989  by daylight4449

arjay3 wrote:
Does anyone realize that the B unit is ex-B&M 4268B? An F7B model?
Yes. But it has F3 chicken wire and an older engine than eith of the two F3 A-units
It was the only one of the three (4265, 4267, 4268) on the Billerica scrap line that didn't get cut.
RWJ
This is true, seeing that there isn't any other B&M boosters left. It also is interesting, as it proves that most of the existing F units could be modified to represent an F3 chicken wire.
 #926885  by TSTOM

Saw a report somewhere ( sorry - brain fail ) in the last couple days that the B unit had arrived in Scranton.

Can anyone confirm ?
 #926939  by daylight4449

TSTOM wrote:Saw a report somewhere ( sorry - brain fail ) in the last couple days that the B unit had arrived in Scranton.

Can anyone confirm ?
I think that may have been a while ago. Again, could be wrong.
 #928569  by 56-57

It arrived in Scranton in January. We've already tidied up the interior a bit. I was in it saturday for the first time (for me) since 1992. We have a LOOOONG road ahead of us before it runs again. It should be looking lackawanna-ey far sooner though.

-Micah
 #928593  by daylight4449

56-57 wrote:It arrived in Scranton in January. We've already tidied up the interior a bit. I was in it saturday for the first time (for me) since 1992. We have a LOOOONG road ahead of us before it runs again. It should be looking lackawanna-ey far sooner though.

-Micah
Sooner is always better than later. Keep up the good work :)
 #929257  by TSTOM

56-57 -

Thanks for the confirmation. AIR from last Fall, the B unit had some condition issues negating it's movement. Can't remember the specifics but obviously they were resolved and she made it to Scranton. Gather from your comments that there's alot of mechanical work needed but perhaps external sanding/repainting can proceed.

Will you be changing your moniker to 663-664 ?

:-)
 #929341  by 56-57

The electrical cabinet in the 'D' (as it still is 'numbered') is a fresh start, clean slate, bare plate. As in, there's practically nothing there. So for operation, it will be some time before it runs on its' own.

Cosmetically, at the least we have as much prep work and whatnot to do to is as was done on the A's, as we wouldn't like to have a shoddy paint job fall to pieces while the A units look good for quite awhile..

As for the monicker, ha, I hadn't thought of that. I think, perchance, I'll allow someone else that title. I'm partial to mine as it is.

-Micah
 #934448  by Otto Vondrak

Montclaire wrote:Will these be pulling any excursions out of Steamtown?
Not until they pass inspection and get blue carded... Which the volunteers are working towards.
 #934453  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Montclaire wrote:Will these be pulling any excursions out of Steamtown?
Not until they pass inspection and get blue carded... Which the volunteers are working towards.
I really don't get what blue-carded means. I'm guessing it means cleared for service?