Railroad Forums 

• LACKAWANNA F3 Recreation !

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#810839  by mxdata

What a tremendous job Tri-State RHS and ARHS members are doing in the repair and repainting of their F3 locomotives.

What a shame that the NRHS cannot come up with some more significant support and promotional use for them in their upcoming National Convention at the Steamtown NHS.

A town packed with classic diesels and an event that does very little to feature them.

MX
 #811046  by Tri-State Tom

mx -

You may be more in the know on this than me.

When I was active with TSRHS, I believe we applied for and received an NRHS grant for one of our projects. It was very useful.

It's possible that either TSRHS or ARHS may have applied for/received grants from NRHS for the respective engine overhauls. Certainly Steamtown appears to be very accommodative in hosting the F's for months and permitting these volunteers to have dedicated space INDOORS in the roundhouse as well as outdoor trackage for this restoration effort.

With a month to go, both engines should/hopefully be cosmetically complete for display at the convention.
 #811095  by mxdata

Perhaps I am being too critical of the NRHS but when you look at the schedule of events and see that there are no seminars related to diesels (as usual) and see that these superb units are being used just for static display and photo lineups, it seems to me that the NRHS is missing the boat, or the train (again).

There are only a few people left around now who participated in the design and construction of first generation diesels. Having this many classic diesels gathered in one location could be an opportunity to do some activities that share their experience and knowledge. But I don't see the NRHS national organization making any effort to reach out to them just as there was no effort to reach out to the steam designers and builders before them. It seems like another opportunity is being lost.

But that is an issue entirely separate from the superb effort that ARHS and Tri-State are putting into restoring their respective locomotives.

MX
 #816515  by PassRailSavesFuel

[quote="mxdata"]Perhaps I am being too critical of the NRHS but when you look at the schedule of events and see that there are no seminars related to diesels (as usual) and see that these superb units are being used just for static display and photo lineups, it seems to me that the NRHS is missing the boat, or the train (again).

There are only a few people left around now who participated in the design and construction of first generation diesels. Having this many classic diesels gathered in one location could be an opportunity to do some activities that share their experience and knowledge. But I don't see the NRHS national organization making any effort to reach out to them just as there was no effort to reach out to the steam designers and builders before them. It seems like another opportunity is being lost.

But that is an issue entirely separate from the superb effort that ARHS and Tri-State are putting into restoring their respective locomotives.

/quote]

I would say first offer a sizeable donation to your favorite chapter with your favorite engine. That will get their attention, and some may listen to you. There are many good people in the NRHS, that being said. When I was younger, I asked many members to save Erie's Alco Pa's At that time the answer was railroads own equipment not people. Only a nut would buy a real train! Many of these people were millionaires. Many own railroad and oil company stocks which were in their familys for a humdred years! In those days older people had money. They worked and saved for it. And didn't charge things, they saved for things. The NRHS I'm sure still has some millionaires in it. But to them trains are just a hobby. Getting them to spend it. I don't have a answer to that. Thank god, for the few nuts that bought equipment.
 #817136  by mxdata

Yes, sending donations direct to the organization that maintains the equipment is by far the best way to go, as in the case of Tri-State RHS and the ARHS, the owners of the two F3A locomotives.

As long as the NRHS National is producing stuff like the membership brochure a couple years ago that was almost entirely illustrated with steam locomotives, I can't see much point to sending them donations. There is really nothing wrong with steam locomotives, I like them too, but they have faded to a very minor aspect of railroading, and when your agenda is to force-feed an almost exclusive diet of them to potential members it advertises that there is something wrong with the priorities within the organization.

MX
 #819990  by Tri-State Tom

Here's the latest update on the F3's....

http://tristaterail.org/f3_progress_report.html

Appears that the ARHS unit - LACKAWANNA #664 - is fully painted and ready for display at the NRHS Convention this week in Scranton. The TSRHS unit - LACKAWANNA #663 - will be in grey only but with maroon nose herald and side body lettering applied plus finished # boards. #663 needed much more body work than #664 when this project commenced 3-4 months ago. It will receive it's full maroon & yellow post-convention.

I'm told both units are operational at present but will need some required/updated maintenance in the near future. In the interim, they may indeed do some nominal movements around the Steamtown yard later this Summer/Fall.

:-)
 #821010  by Tri-State Tom

Esteemed photographer Bob Vogel captured several great images yesterday at the NRHS Convention in Scranton/Steamtown....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2115987

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2115984

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2115988

These are all of the ARHS F3 #664 . TSRHS F3 #663, in grey-ghost scheme, was spotted/displayed just behind the roundhouse. It will receive it's maroon & yellow striping post convention.

:-D
 #822181  by RDG467

The ARHS paid for the restoration of #663 out of our own funds (prior donations from our members), but we have rec'd some outside support as the project progressed. We did not have as much bodywork to do as did Tri-State, so the paint was our main cost. I think it was in the $3-4000 range, including the various and sundry supplies needed to prep the unit for painting.