Railroad Forums 

• EL Business Train disposition

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#635222  by rrfoose

What happened to Erie Lackawanna's business train? Did they sell off the pieces before Conrail, or did some of the equipment go into the CR executive fleet?
 #635223  by njmidland

The 10-5 Pullman sleeper, "Spirit of Youngstown", did go to Conrail and went on to CSX. It is now named "Youngstown" and part of the CSX business train.
 #639626  by rrfoose

njmidland wrote:The 10-5 Pullman sleeper, "Spirit of Youngstown", did go to Conrail and went on to CSX. It is now named "Youngstown" and part of the CSX business train.
Seems that was the only car that went on to CR. Anyone else know what happened to the rest of the fleet?
 #708690  by rrfoose

Did EL have any more than one business car at the time of the CR merger?
 #708857  by TB Diamond

Per one of my photos taken of President Maxwell's inpsection special traversing the Cuba Cutoff trestle at Fillmore, NY on 10 March 1976, the consist was two EMD E8 locomotives and four business cars. The trailing car appeared to have had a observation platform. May have the locomotive and car numbers in my notes which are not at hand right now.
 #723222  by bingdude

EL had at least two open-end cars for the Biz fleet. I remember visiting the former DL&W station in Scranton just after it was turned into a hotel in the early 80s, and one of these (I think it was #3) was out back, still in EL livery. The trucks had ERIE cast in them, so it was a definite former EL car and not a re-painted one from another road.
 #723227  by bingdude

The Erie Biz fleet is listed on the fallen flags website. Here's what I found:

#3 was the car I saw in Scranton. I'm not sure where it is now. It might be part of Steamtown collection although I've not seen it in since the mid 80s.

#2 was bought by private business and was restored in the late 80s. It was in Philadelphia for a while. Someone named Sanders owned it.
 #730941  by jhdeasy

The late Richard Sanders owned the former EL 2, which he stored at the Levin's Juniata Terminal Company in Philadelphia. I think his last major trip with the car was AAPRCO's 1991 convention at Ashland WI, which was hosted by Wisconsin Central. The car was assigned Amtrak's PV number 800102, but I doubt the car has current (2009) Amtrak inspections. I'm not sure who owns it today, as it is not listed in the current AAPRCO registry.
 #767189  by Tri-State Tom

So does anyone know where #2 is today ? It sure looked externally prestine in that 2005 photo !

Also, AIR one of the E-L biz cars was for years sitting on a siding next to/part of a restaurant in Pittsburg. Then I think about 8-9 years ago I remember reading that this car had been privately purchased and readied for movement by rail to somewhere in New England.

Does this ring a bell with anyone with better knowledge ?
 #783543  by pdtrains

AFAIR, they are all listed in the Official Passenger Car Equipment Register. Get a copy from late 60's/early 70's.
If no one here has one, I'll get to one of mine, eventually.
 #816597  by PassRailSavesFuel

Tri-State Tom wrote:So does anyone know where #2 is today ? It sure looked externally prestine in that 2005 photo !

Also, AIR one of the E-L biz cars was for years sitting on a siding next to/part of a restaurant in Pittsburg. Then I think about 8-9 years ago I remember reading that this car had been privately purchased and readied for movement by rail to somewhere in New England.

Does this ring a bell with anyone with better knowledge ?
Tom there's at DL&W biz car in Phoenix, Arizona at a railroad museum. Amtrak equiped. Also I read somewhere there's a DL&W biz car at Derby, Maine shops.
 #840736  by Tri-State Tom

Pass -
Also I read somewhere there's a DL&W biz car at Derby, Maine shops.
By accident, found/confirmed location of #99....the car that for years was attached to a restaurant in Pittsburgh....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 30&nseq=10

The brief caption is somewhat sad....exterior appears quite salvageable for restoration but sounds like vandals got into the interior sometime following departure from Pittsburgh.