Railroad Forums 

• Hoboken Terminal wheel truing & Bergen Tunnel Constructi

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#434045  by Tyreen

I am a NJ-based architectural historian working on some railroad-related projects (a plaque and public information booklet) that I think would be a lot more interesting to the general public if they were to include some information from any relevant oral histories (or similar type of 'human interest' resource), if they exist.

One of the projects has to do with the process of "wheel truing" at the Hoboken Terminal and the other is regarding the construction of the Bergen Tunnels on the DL&W in Hudson County.

I spoke with historian Howard Green and he suggested a few leads to follow, which in turn led me to a suggestion to put a notice out on your forum.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Tyreen A. Reuter
Metuchen, NJ 08840-2422
email: [email protected]

#434282  by Otto Vondrak

Hi Tyreen,

Would this be for personal use or would it benefit your consulting business?

What exactly are you looking for?

-otto-

#434801  by Tyreen

What I am looking for - at least hoping to find - are oral histories or some kind of related resource that is relevant to the two projects we are working on. One of them is the process of wheel truing at the Hoboken Terminal, and the other is the construction (or use) of the Bergen Tunnels (both north and south). I realize these are kind of needle-in-haystack searches, but we would possibly use them in a plaque (at the terminal) and then a publicly distributed (free) booklet about the tunnels. We have all the background history done and images gathered, but I think they would be a lot more interesting to the public in general if some more personal/human elements were added.

I personally don't have a consulting business that would benefit, but I am an employee at a cultural resources firm working on this and they are a "for-profit" firm. However, this project is for NJ TRANSIT and when we are trying to find added/more interesting information like this we don't exactly do it on "their time," so I wouldn't say we are profiting from this - just trying to make the final product more interesting.

#435054  by GOLDEN-ARM

A project "for NJ Transit", and you need info, from us, regarding their railroad operations, past and present? (is it just me?)
 #435115  by henry6

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:A project "for NJ Transit", and you need info, from us, regarding their railroad operations, past and present? (is it just me?)
Don't be surprised or put out, GOLDEN ARM, as there are many companies and institutions which have perfeclty well preserved records and statistics but no personal input. This search by TYREEN is an attempt to put a "human" touch to concrete, clay, wires, and numbers. We wish him well because anecdotal history this late is very hard to come by. Will it work? If enough material is gathered, yes. Look at the Railroaders Museum in Altoona for proof.