Railroad Forums 

• 1/19/53 - GRANTON JCT., NJ

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1457835  by shlustig

ERIE x1239 WEST (39 cars+ caboose) Dp. SusQ. Transfer at 9:48 AM on signal indication, proceeded west, and stopped at Granton Jct.

NYS&W #815 -- 1 RDC -- Dp. SusQ. Transfer 21" late at 9:51 AM., proceeded westward, stopped & proceeded at Sig. 6-1-1-N, and while in dense fog (25' visibility) hit the caboose of X1239. Estimated impact speed was 10mph and 22 passengers were injured.

At this location, NYS&W ran on the ERIE.
 #1457839  by D Alex

shlustig wrote:ERIE x1239 WEST (39 cars+ caboose) Dp. SusQ. Transfer at 9:48 AM on signal indication, proceeded west, and stopped at Granton Jct.

NYS&W #815 -- 1 RDC -- Dp. SusQ. Transfer 21" late at 9:51 AM., proceeded westward, stopped & proceeded at Sig. 6-1-1-N, and while in dense fog (25' visibility) hit the caboose of X1239. Estimated impact speed was 10mph and 22 passengers were injured.

At this location, NYS&W ran on the ERIE.
22 passengers? In the caboose? Or were they putting cabooses on passenger trains?
 #1457885  by D Alex

the trainguy wrote:um,
RDC maybe?
Oh, sorry, didn't notice that. I though the NYS&W was always freight-only. In that case, I'm slightly surprised that an RDC couldn't stop quicker. I was imagining a VERY crowded caboose with maybe a track crew riding!
 #1457980  by ExCon90

The 800-series trains were the hourly/half-hourly trips between Susq. Transfer (with bus connection from the Port Authority Bus Terminal) in Manhattan and Paterson (Paterson City if it was still in service by that time).