Railroad Forums 

• Wilawana, 1950s

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1374963  by Train Detainer

Sorry about the dust, but here's a few blasts from the past.....
Wilawana3.jpg
Wilawana2.jpg
Wilawana1.jpg
 #1375017  by charlie6017

Wow, amazing shots........thanks so much for sharing them! :-D

Charlie
 #1375326  by johnpbarlow

Awesome photos! Although the name Wilawana was vaguely familiar to me given I grew up along the EL on the Southern Tier in the '60s, I had to look at a map to see where exactly these photos were taken. I'm guessing photo #1 is the eb Phoebe Snow, just minutes away from its Waverly station stop shortly after 12pm? I guess the other possibility is that it's the Pocono Express that would be running here at about 7AM. But it's odd that the train is running wrong main on track 1 - any idea why? And 75mph speed limit for passenger trains - yowza!

Today, the DL&W RoW here has been commandeered by rte 17, I believe.

Very nice! Thanks for posting.
 #1375442  by Train Detainer

All three shots are the same location (within 1000'). In the last pic you can see the remains of the depot platform. That's Orcutt Creek bridge in the passenger train pic and Wilawana Road (4022) is the crossing. The passenger train pic is a bit earlier I think, but Wilawana was long gone as a station stop so the wrong-main-thing was probably for track work or something else. The right of way through here is still there, although I think all traces of the platform are gone now too. Rte 17/I-86 is on the other side of the valley here, near the Erie. The road is still there but improved a bit. The hill in the right background of the second two pics ends at Nine-Mile bridge, which is where the DLW and now I-86 cross the Erie/NS.