Railroad Forums 

• The Lackawanna's answer to the GG1

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1353591  by Sir Ray

Well, they do have the sloped hood form-factor of Swiss Crocodile locomotives down.

I found the Wallabout Basin page of the "Industrial & Offline Terminal Railroads,,," website fascinating when I first read it - you had this rather compact but thriving terminal market district build around this channel (off the East River), well served by multiple railroads via car-floating, and in 1940/41 the US Navy came along and said "Sorry Guys, time to go" and bam - the Government filled in the channel and demolished the markets to expand the Navy Yard...
I guess it would have happened eventually, but more likely in a fashion akin to the Kent Ave yards after they were abandoned rather than uprooting very busy facilities.
 #1363980  by dlandw

Heheh, I was expecting to see something a little more grandiose to qualify as a "large" electric. :wink:

I've always been curious about the DL&W, Erie and LV's terminal operations across the Hudson. I've not seen much coverage of them, either in print or photos. The tugs have gotten some attention.

One of these days, I'm going to have to make good on my long-ago mentioned "threat" :wink: to paint an HO scale GG1 in DL&W livery, as well as a companion Erie unit. In my opinion, both liveries would be stunning on the GG1.

I think mainline electrification beyond the M&E Division, using the GG1 or a comparable design would have been a not-so-implausible solution for the Lackawanna, particularly on the grades out of Scranton. After all, VGN operated its electrified district successfully (and economically) for decades. MILW's was less successful from an economic standpoint, but could finally have redeemed itself if it had been upgraded rather than deactivated at the start of the 1970s energy crisis.

Alan
"dlandw" on railroad.net