Railroad Forums 

• Crew Change Locations

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1326020  by mmi16

What were the crew change locations between New York and Chicago on the Erie?

Were they any different when it was Erie-Lackawana?
 #1326072  by charlie6017

If I have this correct, I **think** the crew-change locations were from east to west:

Port Jervis, NY
Susquehanna, Pa
Hornell, NY
Meadville, Pa
Kent, OH
Marion, OH
Huntington, IN

I'm no expert, I'm just recalling the info I have read in books over the years.....someone with more knowledge can
perhaps elaborate further and correct if needed. :-)

Charlie

P.S. I don't think there was much difference from Erie into Erie-Lackawanna, I believe things stayed pretty much the
same over the years on the Erie side.
 #1326143  by mmi16

Graduated from Kent State University and never realized that Kent was a crew change point. Only remember the EL blocking Main street from time to time.
 #1326298  by Cactus Jack

Passenger Service was different from freight and engine crews sometimes different from Train crews - also I think some districts had a different Brakeman / Conductor change point. But you are basically correct generically other than before the long pool was started in the 70s? Salamanca, NY was an intermediate point between Meadville and points east (Buffalo and Hornell) for the mainline.
 #1326302  by Roadgeek Adam

Due to the change of freight standards in Indiana, if I remember right, there was room to make a change at Decatur? Was this ever the case?
 #1398221  by mmi16

charlie6017 wrote:If I have this correct, I **think** the crew-change locations were from east to west:

Port Jervis, NY
Susquehanna, Pa
Hornell, NY
Meadville, Pa
Kent, OH
Marion, OH
Huntington, IN

I'm no expert, I'm just recalling the info I have read in books over the years.....someone with more knowledge can
perhaps elaborate further and correct if needed. :-)

Charlie

P.S. I don't think there was much difference from Erie into Erie-Lackawanna, I believe things stayed pretty much the
same over the years on the Erie side.
Which now leads to the next question - where were the home terminals?
 #1398592  by charlie6017

mmi16 wrote:Which now leads to the next question - where were the home terminals?
Most likely they were (from west to east):

Chicago/Hammond
Marion
Meadville
Hornell
Port Jervis
Croxton

At least that would make the most sense. I would think Huntington, Kent, Salamanca, and Susquehanna would have been
strictly layover terminals.

Charlie
 #1404583  by jr

I believe that your list would be about right for the Erie Lackawanna, starting in the early 60s. However, the Erie RR changed crews approximately every 100 miles for many years. I think 100 miles was considered a standard "day's work" for a long time.

From Erie Memories (Crist)
Marion Division, 2nd Sub - Chicago to Huntington (142 mi)
Marion Division, 1st Sub - Huntington to Marion (127 mi)
Kent Division - Marion to Kent (103 mi)
Mahoning Division - Kent to Meadville (90 mi)
Meadville Division - Meadville to Salamanca (102 mi)
Allegany Division - Salamanca to Hornell (86 mi)
Susquehanna Division - Hornell to Susquehanna (139 mi)
Delaware Division - Susquehanna to Port Jervis (108 mi)
New York Division - Port Jervis to Jersey City (87 mi)

For the Allegany and Meadville Divisions, the crews were based at the Eastern end, and laid over at the Western end of the division. I assume that the others were set up this way.

After the EL merger, they consolidated divisions, and made "long pools" that eliminated many of the crew change points.