Railroad Forums 

• Erie Newark Branch wayfreight

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#143894  by PeterR

What type of locomotives would have been used in wayfreight service on the Newark Branch of the Erie between 1945 and 1955? The line runs from Waldwick through Paterson, Nutley and Newark to Jersey City...

I am new to Railroad.net--seems like a great organization!

#143992  by snavely

The old memory isn't the greatest anymore and I was but a mere tot during the early '50's however I seem to recall seeing RS-2's and SW's on the line. Can't swear to it, but maybe also the occasional GP also. No thru freights on the branch, just way freights and commuters.
 #144219  by ChiefTroll

The Newark Branch didn't run all the way to Waldwick. The passenger timetables in the Official Guide show Newark Branch passenger trains running to Waldwick, but from Paterson (XW Tower) to Waldwick they were on the New York Division Main Line. In "modern" times (including the era 1945-1955) the Newark Branch left the Greenwood Lake Branch just west of DB Bridge over the Hackensack River at Snake Hill, and joined the Erie Main at XW. It crossed the Passaic River on NX Bridge, a bascule bridge still standing open.

The motive power on way freights in steam days would have usually been H-class 2-8-0's and (probably interchangeably) C-class 0-8-0's. In 1968, and probably much earlier, the Newark Branch job had an EMD switcher (SW-9, etc. or whatever was first out that morning at Croxton Enginehouse.) I remember one time in 1969 that was the power they had when the locals piled a baricade of debris on the track. When the train stopped the crew members were assualted and badly injured.
 #1024363  by E&Lfan

Erie Nwk. branch passed through my back yard 1948/58 in Clifton NJ. . Then moved two blocks away. I can remember Erie EMD SWs(including SW-1 360) pulling the local frt. that was based in Getty Yd. Paterson.It ran east to Bellville,maybe to Passaic R. drawbridge in Newark,before returning to Pat. .It would leave Pat. after last eastbound commuter train and return before evening com. rush at track speed.In 50s train varied 10/30 cars 6 days a week. Have vague memories of steam,I was 5 yrs. old in 1953,but RS-2/3s were the norm on pass. runs with an occasional GP-7 up front.I do recall a PA pulling last morning E.Bnd around 1955 with a combine and 3 coaches instead of the usual 2 or 3 stilwell coaches.I kept time by those trains as a child instead of looking at the clock.
 #1025382  by sickskillz

I see that this is a relatively old post from 2005, however if anyone is wanting a picture of an engine that used to run on this line, there is a great one here http://kearnyalumni.com/showimage.html?listingid=284 . It shows the Engine located in Kearny NJ right next to West Hudson Park. This is the portion of the line that is right after the NX Bascule bridge crossing the passaic river from Newark into Kearny going towards Snake Hill and Jersey City.

From what I'm able to get off the number on the engine it seems to be an EMD SW7 labeled EL 432
 #1076690  by switcher3051

I used to live near the Newark branch in the 50's and early 60's. An SW7 (possibly) # in the 400's did a lot of switching in Nutley as there were 2 run around tracks. Did a lot of daily switching as well as Saturdays. Many times the weekday crew would have to wait until the last passenger train headed to Patterson.