Railroad Forums 

• Collision on the Erie-Lackawanna Main Line

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1079790  by RedbirdR33

I believe that it was sometime in the 1970's that vandals tampered with a switch on the former Erie Main Line in the vicinity of Ridgewood NJ. This had the effect of sending a passenger train into a siding resulting in a collision that killed or injured at least one and maybe two people. Does anyone have more information on this. Thank you.

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #1079873  by chief

The wreck happened in Fairlawn,NJ on july 7,1982. the passenger train ran into the Zerega pasta plant.Kids had threw the switch just about the time the train passed the signal that would have warned the crew.1 person was killed.
 #1081338  by 130MM

I was Ass't. Track Supervisor of the territory at the time. The kids had tried the same thing the night before, but had thrown the switch before the train passed the signal. The crew normalled the switch and went on their way. The kids obviously learned their lesson the next night.

The train went through a #10 switch at close to 60 MPH. The force of the train threw the track out of line about 6". Unfortunately, the switch had only recently been renewed. If it had been an older switch, it might not have been able to resist those forces, and the train may have derailed on the switch as evidenced by the fact that when the sidetrack curved to go beside the building; the train went straight into the side of the building - the track was not strong enough to prevent the train from going straight. It penetrated the building about half the length of the first coach. The factory was on summer vacation, so there was only a security guard on duty at the factory. Temporary supports had to be constructed to hold up the roof before the coach could be removed.

DAW
 #1086968  by RedbirdR33

Thank you for your responses and the information. I remembered the incident but not the date. Comet I cars 1512, 1768 and 1809 were wrecked on that day and scrapped in 1987. The original Comet I order included 35 cab cars which were numbered 1500 - 1534 . All of these were re-numbered in sequence to 5100 - 5134 in 1977 in the first of the Comet re-numberings. 1512 was included in this possibly with the thought that she would eventually be returned to service. Again my thanks.

Larry, RedbirdR33