Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#1057935  by Alek9997

Does anyone know where I can find photos of the movement(s) of the Steamtown collection over the D&H?

I seem to recall seeing some photos a long time ago of one of the "engine trains" that moved from Bellows Falls, VT to Scranton, PA. The routing the train took included the Delaware & Hudson route through the Susquehanna Valley, and I believe the train took the Penn Division to Scranton.

Can anyone be a little more helpful on this matter?

Thanks

Alek S
 #1058570  by JhnZ33

I'm not sure, but I think the Penn Division may have been OOS at that time.
 #1058602  by Cactus Jack

Penn Division was still running but the moves went via Binghamton, or at least the Big Boy move I chased did. I think everything else did also, going to Binghamton and over Nicholson, but maybe not.

I bunch of us got shots at Tunnel, but D&H would not concede to a cut where we could pose the Big Boy nose out at the tunnel portal. Wise move, but hey we had to ask. Those guys back in the day were great to rail photographers. I recall chasing the Big Boy move down Route 7 through Bainbridge and Afton and thinking how graceful such a large locomotive looked on the move.

Penn Division went about early 1986 or late 1985. I recall it being winter and things had been detouring via the Penn division account of the work at Tunnel.
 #1058710  by cjvrr

Cactus,

I believe however the Penn Division from a mile or two south of Jeff Junction down to Carbondale was already gone by 1985 when the tunnel work occured. They only left enough track south of the connection to the Erie main to complete the run around moves.
 #1059532  by Cactus Jack

Yeah, you are correct about the lower end of the Penn Division ... forgot that ... the bypass trains went via Jeff Junction and the Erie out of Binghamton
 #1081815  by Atomsk

I've got pics of UP 4012 coming into Oneonta, on the trip south. Unfortunately they're slides, and I may not have them in digital form.

I'll see what I can come up with, in the next few days.
 #1085338  by Alek9997

Atomsk wrote:I've got pics of UP 4012 coming into Oneonta, on the trip south. Unfortunately they're slides, and I may not have them in digital form.

I'll see what I can come up with, in the next few days.
See if you can somehow digitize them...I'd like to see that !

Alek S