Railroad Forums 

• Low grade line between Honesdale and Carbondale

• Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.
Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#1033116  by jadebullet2

Hello guys,
I am working on a research project, and I was wondering if anyone had any information on the line between Honesdale and Carbondale. Not the gravity railroad though, the line that was put in in the 1870s for regular locomotive service. When was it torn out, any pictures of it in use, stuff like that. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
 #1035682  by oibu

Other than a handful of views in books (Shagughnessy D&h, etc.) and online of D&H camelbacks in Honesdale, I've never seen a photo of a regular steam train on that line. Pretty sure abandonment came around the 1929-1931 ish timeframe. Sorry I don't have more to offer, but there is very little out there on it, it seems. What little there is in print that I'm aware of, if you haven't seen, is pretty much limited to a few books about the canal and/or gravity RR, plus the Shaughnessy D&H book. Can't speak for Wakefield's Coal Boats to Tidewater since I dom't own it and it's been a lon time since I've seen it, but if there is any other likely source of info or pics that I can think of, that would be it.
 #1035755  by PB46

It ceased operations on Sepember 9, 1931 at Midnight. They started removing the track on July 15, 1932 and it was completed on April 28, 1933. The ICC granted the D&H request to abandon the Branch on July 20, 1931 (ICC 1932:387-390).