Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#977229  by ericofmaine

I'm trying to find some information, books or what have you, on the D&H Washington Branch, the lower section of which is now the Batenkill Railroad. I grew up in the Poultney VT / Granville, NY area and have an interest in the line. I have found a couple of books on the D&H that have some short blurbs, but nothing of any substance.

Any information that could point me in a better direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Eric
 #977349  by Dick H

"Delaware and Hudso" in color, Volume #3, by Jeremy and Jeffrey Plant
(Morning Sun Books, 2004) has an eight page spread on the Washington
Branch and the Greenwich & Johnsonville short line "partner", with many
photos and extensive details accompanying the photos.

I did not notice much Washington Branch info in Volume 4 and I do not
have Volumes 1 and 2.
 #977470  by ericofmaine

Dick H wrote:"Delaware and Hudso" in color, Volume #3, by Jeremy and Jeffrey Plant
(Morning Sun Books, 2004) has an eight page spread on the Washington
Branch and the Greenwich & Johnsonville short line "partner", with many
photos and extensive details accompanying the photos.

I did not notice much Washington Branch info in Volume 4 and I do not
have Volumes 1 and 2.
Thanks Dick. I'll check it out.

Eric
 #978499  by Steve Wagner

Two suggestions:

Rails Along the Battenkill, a paperback book written years ago by the late David Nestle.

Some of the "Along the Branch" columns Joe Durham wrote for the Bridge Line Historical Society Bulletin a few years back. (He wrote both about the Rutland & Washington branch and the Rutland branch of the D&H, having lived near them for many years.)
 #1230853  by RussNelson

This line: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=247861732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; matches some kind of right-of-way going from Poultney up to a quarry at the north end. I looked on the current and old USGS topo maps and found nothing. It *surely* was either a road or a railroad. And going to a quarry, it was probably a railroad spur. Does anybody know for sure?

There was definitely a spur on the south side of town going to the Hadeka Quarry, here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=247861730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
 #1230901  by ericofmaine

RussNelson wrote:This line: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=247861732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; matches some kind of right-of-way going from Poultney up to a quarry at the north end. I looked on the current and old USGS topo maps and found nothing. It *surely* was either a road or a railroad. And going to a quarry, it was probably a railroad spur. Does anybody know for sure?

There was definitely a spur on the south side of town going to the Hadeka Quarry, here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=247861730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Russ,

As I lived in Poultney for a time, and then right across the border in Granville, I can tell you that it used to be an old interurban line. Once past the Tatko quarry (was Tatko, not sure now) you can pick up the ROW again. Last I knew, most of the ROW below Farnam Road is used for a power line.

Eric
 #1231881  by oibu

There are a few photos on each of V. 2 and 3 of D&H in COlor published by Mnring Sun. Not sure offhand if any pics of thebranch itself in V. 1. Nohting in V. 4 as that volume is focused on the later era.

As far as history or -really old- photographs, the best resourse I am aware of is Jim Shughnessy's "Delaware & Hudson" which chronicles the history of D&H and all of it's components/subsidiaries from the 1820s to ca. 1970, including the Rutland & Washington. HAs a few old pics of Salem etc. in early times.
 #1241509  by ericofmaine

I've read the Nestle book and some of the other books metntiond and a question for those that might know: Why was the branch ripped up from Salem north? I know there was little to no business on the far northern (Castleton / Poultney) end, but potentially some in Granville (Telescope Casual Furniture comes to mind). If there wasn't anything that far north, why wasn't it terminated at Greenwich Jct as there doesn't seem there was anything in Salem either? Just curious.

Thanks,

Eric
 #1268929  by B&M 1227

A similar question was asked on the Batten Kill list earlier this year which got a good answer from Gino of ginosrailpages. (I know you post here Gino, where are you?)
I know Ron Crowd wanted the whole line to Rutland, but there may have been some issue with that. He certainly wanted to serve Granville and I don't know what happened there. I believe the Washington Branch was abandoned in 1978. The Battenkill didn't start operations until the early 80's. There's a good chance that the D&H started to remove some track from Granville down.

The line was left to Salem for the potential of tourist business. They didn't initially run tourist trains out of Salem, but they finally made it happen. Cambridge was open for passengers right before they closed the tourist operation down.

Gino
 #1272190  by ericofmaine

B&M 1227 wrote:A similar question was asked on the Batten Kill list earlier this year which got a good answer from Gino of ginosrailpages. (I know you post here Gino, where are you?)
I know... twas I that asked there also! But thanks.

Eric