Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#655112  by Mem160

Athearn announced the other day 4 AC440's in 'Fantasy' paint schemes, as Tower 55 was doing. So there is some hope there that you still may see a D&H scheme on a modern engine. I sent them an eMail but they never replied. Maybe if they get a few requests, you may see an SD or a GE Wide Cab in D&H.

----> Mark
 #663024  by Dieter

Otto Vondrak wrote:
DERECCO wrote:I WAS JUST THINKING AFTER STANDING NEXT TO ONE OF THE NEW GE'S PARKED NEAR THE AMTRAK STATION IN TICONDEROGA THE OTHER DAY HOW NICE IT WOULD BE TO SEE NEW POWER PAINTED IN THE D&H LIGHTNING STRIPE SCHEME. ANY IDEAS ON THE SUBJECT? WOULD CP EVER CONSIDER IT ? IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE 2 GE'S IN THIS SCHEME!!
Can you not type in all caps? IT'S HARD TO READ AND LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING.

Model railroading is a great hobby, you are free to create whatever you like!
May I point out that before the Geeks Inherited the Earth via WIndows, in Print, CAPS were meant to draw attention for EMPHASIS or were used for people who couldn't SEE VERY WELL, and without an accompanying exclamation point, the use of such print NEVER had ANYTHING to do with YELLING. YELLING IS DONE WITH CAPS AND UNDERLINED, OR "UNDERSCORED" AS IT HAS COME TO BE CALLED!, the exclamation mark clears any doubt for the reader. Where this nuance was lost over the past twenty years, those of us in print can't figure out. Before the "Paperless" computer age when typewriters had black and red ribbons, with color, many used RED
CAPS
to emphasize yelling, and tagged with an exclamation mark.

I see a lot of "YELLING" online that yields doubt because somebody usually forgets this "!" at the end,and for hundreds of years, it took more than CAPS to determine if someone was yelling or not. The more of these "!!!!!" the louder the yell. You can get an entire document in Caps, people don't yell for very long, so you don't get a lot of underlined copy. You will still get wire copy bulletins in CAPS, and instructional materials in Caps; it's for attention, and still has NOTHING to do with yelling. Where this got confused began when a small handfull of TI techs in Texas RE-WROTE the English language to suit their own lack of understanding it. Lo, I digress --

On the paint schemes, I like it, but to nitpick (hone, finetune, suggest) on the AC unit, I think the bolt would look better making the zig closer beneath the second vent, more to the LEFT. To my eye, it's a little too far to the right. The font would be larger as well, keeping in proportion with the large unit. How many times have we seen a font used on a small locomotive (like an RS-3) put on larger unit, and it just doesn't look right?

On the P-40, it's PERFECT (that was not yelling, that's emphasis without italics!) but I would move the D&H shield to the right of the side door to stretch a good thing out, an additional unit number would fit perfectly beneath the cab side window. Would the D&H have an escape hatch in the nose a la Metro North, or be a repeat of the Amtrak model? As time has progressed, I think D&H would have gone for a thicker font on numerals, perhaps like the NYC font used on the P-40 rear side in the graphic?

Nice graphics, glad people are making them, perhaps we will see one of these in plastic soon??

BRING BACK THE D&H!! That was a JUSTIFIED yell, get the difference? :wink:

D/
 #974096  by foxtrot

Never thought Blue, Gray and Yellow would look good on anything but an Alco but these are very interesting. Problem is (as of last week) D&H yellow is pretty much unavailable from any of the model paint lines, and Decal Sets are also very limited in availability
 #1209376  by Engineer Spike

D&H had so many combinations of blue, gray, and yellow. Just about any such combination would be believable. I see postings on forums about the 7303, and her yellow lettering. They say this is not a REAL D&H scheme, since CP did it. If Colonie Shop had lasted, they may have eventually done one with yellow letters.
 #1361650  by MEC407

This is not exactly a D&H paint scheme, but one wonders if the choice of colors is more than just a happy coincidence...

Photo by Casey Thomason: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=558395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1361709  by MEC407

Apologies for the dead link; apparently the photo has been deleted. I'm not sure why.
 #1361881  by MEC407

Here are two photo links that work:

http://members4.boardhost.com/OtherMich ... 57724.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nsdash9.com/rosters/4000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1361931  by charlie6017

That's a pretty interesting paint-scheme......anyone know if NS gave a reason for this choice of colors? :-D

Charlie
 #1361937  by MEC407

As far as I know they haven't given a reason, at least not publicly.

My guess/speculation is that it might be a subtle way of commemorating their acquisition of the south end of the D&H, while not running afoul of CP's trademark rights (since CP most likely still owns the rights to the D&H corporate image).
 #1361990  by Backshophoss

In this case,this is the lead unit of a class of remanufactured GE loco's converted from DC traction motors to
AC traction motors.
This was done "in House" by NS,not by an outside contractor's shop.
Color choise was what was avaible at the shop(guess)
 #1361994  by MEC407

Assuming it was painted at Chattanooga (where the photos were taken), they would've had a very ample supply of black and white paint... hard to imagine they had several buckets of D&H colors just lying around for no reason. :wink:

Just to clarify, the rebuild/mods were done by American Motive Power, Inc. (AMP) in Dansville, NY, under contract with GE.