Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#1283034  by Mem160

I am looking to make a loosely based model of the Howe's Cave Cement Pant, most likely using PVC Pipe and Gator Foam. I do not have the self expectations, nor the required room for the exact replica, so again, I am going with the "loosely based" concept. Does anyone know the "ballpark" dimensions on the concrete silos where the D&H 2-Bay cement hoppers were located? Just an idea for myself, so that I know how high to make them and if I should use 2" or 3" PVC piping.

Thanks,

- Mark
 #1283137  by Benjamin Maggi

For what it is worth, Ken Nelson wrote an article about modeling a cement plant in the July 1994 Model Railroader magazine, and I believe it was based on Howe's Cave Cement Plant. It had drawings and lots of pictures. I suggest you track down a back issue.
 #1283158  by Mem160

WOW!!!!! I am so glad you brought that up! HaHaHaHa! I got that issue off of eBay a couple of years ago and I forgot I had it! You reminded me! Thanks I'll look into it. Thank you.

- Mark
 #1283535  by Benjamin Maggi

Ken is a good friend of mine. When I lived in Western NY I read the article as a kid and didn't think much of it. After moving to Albany and focusing on the D&H, it became more useful. Ken's model is nice too!
 #1283590  by Mem160

What's the best method for cutting the doors into the PVC Silos for the tunnelway for the freight cars ?
 #1341255  by Benjamin Maggi

I would suggest a Dremel tool at high speed to rough cut the doorways. Leave plenty of extra plastic to file away the melted bits.